A leak in a tank in Gernsheim in the southern Hessian district of Groß-Gerau caused a large police and fire service.

There, on the site of a chemical plant, the hazardous substance xylene flowed from a leaky tank into a catch basin, as a police spokesman explained on Friday morning.

The liquid is dangerous to health.

A resident reported a strong solvent smell on Thursday evening around 8:20 p.m.

The population should initially keep doors and windows closed.

Rescue workers sealed the tank and took care of the leaked chemicals.

According to the police, the work was finished again at around 1:45 a.m.

Nobody got hurt.

Why the substance that is used as a solvent leaked is now being determined.


An anti-aircraft shell from the Second World War was blown up on Thursday evening in


in southern Hesse.

As the police announced, the grenade had previously been exposed during dredging work.

Due to the condition, the ordnance disposal service decided to detonate the 50 centimeter long and 17 kilogram grenade on site in a controlled manner.

The demolition took place at 10:40 p.m.

According to the police, there was no risk to the residents of Biblis at any time.


A 51-year-old motorcyclist collided with a car in Hüttenberg in the Lahn-Dill district and was killed. He succumbed to his serious injuries at the scene of the accident, as the police announced on Friday. Accordingly, he was on the road 3360 on Thursday evening when an 18-year-old driver met him. For an unexplained cause, this got into the opposite lane in a curve and, according to the information, caught the motorcycle. The young driver was slightly injured, his three passengers were uninjured. The road was closed for several hours. The investigation into the event continued on Friday, it was said.


During a chase with the police, a 49-year-old driver collided with a patrol car in Bürstadt in the Bergstrasse district. The man was first noticed because of his unlit car, the police said on Friday. After he wanted to be checked by officials on Thursday evening, he decided to change his mind and suddenly drove away at "significantly excessive" speed. According to the police, he almost caught a child. The officers followed him with flashing lights and horns. At a junction, the man suddenly braked sharply, so that the police car drove up to him. He was arrested.

The man is said to have been under the influence of drugs and alcohol. In addition, he did not have a driver's license and his car was not registered, it was said. Several criminal proceedings await him, the police said.