Essen (dpa / lnw) - The hot remains of a barbecue meal are said to have caused considerable damage in the courtyard of an apartment building in Essen.

As the charcoal was probably not completely burned up, several garbage cans and bulky waste caught fire late on Sunday afternoon, the police announced on Monday.

According to the information, the facade of the house was also badly damaged by the fire.

All residents were able to leave the building on time.

There were no injuries.

Firefighters put out the flames.

A young couple is being investigated for negligent arson.

They are suspected of having disposed of hot ashes from their grill in a dumpster in the courtyard.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210426-99-360387 / 2

Notification of the police