Erfurt (dpa) - The Bundestag chances for ex-constitution protection president Georg Maaßen are increasing.
A second Thuringian CDU district association has now spoken out in favor of setting up him as a direct candidate for the federal election on September 26 in southern Thuringia, as CDU General Secretary Christian Herrgott said on Tuesday when asked in Erfurt.
MDR Thuringia had previously reported on it.
According to God, the district executive of Hildburghausen voted for Maassen on Monday evening.
The district association Schmalkalden-Meiningen proposed the controversial Maaßen because of its positions in migration policy, among other things.
The nomination meeting with delegates from a total of four district associations - including Suhl and Sonneberg - is planned for April 30 in Suhl, said Herrgott.
Several members of the Bundestag from Thuringia and Saxony, but also CSU leader Markus Söder, had warned the CDU in southern Thuringia against a nomination by Maaßen.
Parts of her had stuck to her proposal even after a crisis discussion with Thuringia's head of state Christian Hirte.
According to Herrgott, it is still unclear whether there are opposing candidates from southern Thuringia to Maaßen, who comes from North Rhine-Westphalia.
The CDU state executive made it clear that it expects "a clear demarcation from the AfD" from every candidate who is nominated in Thuringia for the state or federal elections on September 26th.
The candidate search is about constituency 196 in southern Thuringia.
He is free after the local candidate Mark Hauptmann left the CDU in the course of the mask affair.
As President of the Office for the Protection of the Constitution, Maassen came under massive criticism at the time because he had doubted that foreigners would be “hunted down” after the killing of a German in Chemnitz.
In November 2018, Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) put him into temporary retirement.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210413-99-187442 / 2