The Libyan national unity government is expected to take the legal oath tomorrow, Monday, in the city of Tobruk (eastern Libya), while the Joint Military Committee began new meetings in the city of Sirte to discuss the implementation of the ceasefire agreement, which many of its provisions have not been implemented.

It is assumed that the members of the House of Representatives meeting in Tripoli, accompanied by the Prime Minister of the National Unity Government, Abdul Hamid al-Dabaiba, arrive today in Tobruk to hold a session of the House of Representatives at its temporary headquarters tomorrow, Monday, where the ministers of the new government will take the legal oath.

For its part, the private Libya Al-Ahrar TV channel quoted sources describing it in particular that the handover ceremony between Dabaiba and the head of the Government of National Accord, Fayez al-Sarraj, will take place tomorrow, Tuesday, in Tripoli.

The Dabaiba government won the confidence of the House of Representatives by an overwhelming majority during a session held last Wednesday in Sirte (450 kilometers east of Tripoli), and it was welcomed regionally and internationally.

It is decided that the unity government will lead the country for a transitional period until the holding of presidential and legislative elections, which were agreed upon during the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum on December 24th.

Among the most important tasks of the government is to work to unify the divided state institutions, remove mercenaries and foreign forces from the country, promote national reconciliation, address the economy, and seek to pave the ground for holding general elections in accordance with the roadmap specified by the Political Dialogue Committee.

The joint military committee meetings that started in Sirte are the third of their kind (Reuters)

Military committee meeting

On the other hand, the "5 + 5" Joint Military Committee began meetings in the city of Sirte under the auspices of the UN mission in Libya, to discuss the sanctions that impede the implementation of the ceasefire signed on October 23, such as withdrawing mercenaries, and reopening the coastal road linking the country's regions. .

A source from the Joint Military Committee - which represents the forces of the Government of National Accord and the forces of the retired Major General Khalifa Haftar - stated that its members will hold their meetings with the UN mission team to set an agenda for the sessions that will be held during the next two days.

Al-Jazeera correspondent Ahmed Khalifa said that it is the third technical meeting of its kind to be held in Sirte, which is controlled by Haftar's forces, adding that the joint committee will discuss technical reports between the two sides under the supervision of the United Nations.

He pointed out that most of the provisions of the ceasefire agreement were not implemented, especially with regard to the withdrawal of foreign mercenaries, as they were supposed to leave Libya within 90 days of the entry into force of the agreement, the opening of coastal and desert roads and corridors between eastern, western and southern Libya, and the exchange of prisoners.

The Al-Jazeera correspondent stated that Western reports indicate that the mercenaries, led by the mercenaries of the Russian "Wagner" company, are no longer obeying the orders of Haftar's forces commanders, and that they are setting up camps south of Sirte to the Al-Jufrah region.

Before the voting session on the Dabaiba government, the mercenaries withdrew outside Sirte for a few kilometers before returning to it later, according to sources from the Government of National Accord forces.

Operation in Ubari

In another development, Ahmed Al-Mesmari, a spokesman for the forces of retired Major General Khalifa Haftar, announced that their Special Operations Forces had carried out a qualitative operation in the city of Ubari (southwestern Libya) targeting an ISIS leader named Miloud Muhammad.

Al-Jazeera correspondent quoted local sources as saying that a house in Ubari was subjected to an airstrike that coincided with the storming of a military force affiliated with Haftar to the area, kidnapping 10 young Tuareg tribesmen and transporting them to one of its headquarters in the city of Sabha.

The Ubari region is inhabited by the majority of the Tuareg tribes, and is considered a base and transit point for al-Qaeda militants coming from Niger and Algeria.