Heiligenhaus (dpa / lnw) - A candle in the bedroom of one of the house residents triggered the fateful fire on the weekend in Heiligenhaus, in which a 77-year-old man was seriously injured and five other residents were slightly injured.

The police announced on Monday after investigating the fire site.

Criminal proceedings were initiated against the 77-year-old owner of the ground floor apartment on suspicion of negligent arson.

He is said to have forgotten the candle in his bedroom one night.

In his apartment alone there was damage of 50,000 euros, the apartment is still uninhabitable, said a police spokeswoman.

The other apartments in the eight-party house have been released again, but some of them are still damaged by soot.

During the fire on Sunday night shortly after midnight, the stairwell was so smoky that the other tenants could not get out of the house.

Four residents were brought to safety by the fire brigade using turntable ladders from their balconies.

A mother with one child came down a portable ladder through a window, a press officer reported.


© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210308-99-738586 / 2

PM of the fire department

PM the police