Dortmund (dpa / lnw) - An apartment building in Dortmund has become uninhabitable due to a garage fire.

Four people came to the hospital after inhaling toxic smoke.

A helper was also injured, as the fire brigade announced on Saturday.

Accordingly, the garage had burned in full extent during the night.

The smoke moved into the apartments above.

Firefighters saved two residents with a turntable ladder.

The others could still get outside through the stairwell.

A total of 16 people initially lost their homes and had to find accommodation elsewhere, it was said.

According to the police, the cause of the fire is still being determined.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210306-99-712936 / 2