Berlin (dpa / bb) - A 72-year-old was seriously injured in an apartment fire in Berlin.

Neighbors had alerted the fire brigade at midnight after a smoke alarm went off and they saw the glow of the fire coming from the apartment in Berlin-Fennpfuhl, the police announced on Wednesday.

The emergency services extinguished the furniture that was on fire and then sealed the apartment on Karl-Lade-Strasse.

It is no longer habitable.

The man had come to a hospital with burns and suspected smoke poisoning.

Other residents of the apartment building were not injured.

The State Criminal Police Office is now investigating negligent arson.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210303-99-669478 / 2

PM of the Berlin police