Paderborn (dpa / lnw) - Independent work on an e-bike battery has triggered an apartment fire in Hövelhof near Paderborn according to initial investigations by experts.

As the police announced, the living room in a single-family house caught fire on Thursday and was extinguished by the fire department.

The 56-year-old parents and two adult sons (18 and 23) were injured and hospitalized.

According to the police, the property damage amounts to around 100,000 euros.

The apartment in question is initially uninhabitable.

The family had initially tried to put out the fire themselves with a fire extinguisher, which did not succeed.

"According to the current state of investigations, it can be assumed that the fire started as a result of work carried out independently on the battery of an e-bike," said the fire experts from the Paderborn district police authority after investigations on Friday.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210226-99-607694 / 2


Police notice