Hanau (AP) - Almost a year after the racially motivated attack with nine dead in Hanau, Hesse's Interior Minister Peter Beuth (CDU) admitted a bottleneck in the emergency call of the Hanau police station on the night of the crime.
"It is correct that the police station was only able to receive a limited number of calls that night," said the minister in Wiesbaden on Tuesday.
The total emergency call volume for the Hanau police station amounts to an average of 80 calls a day.
"It was not technically possible to forward many emergency calls that came in at the same time," said Beuth.
With the move of the police headquarters in Southeast Hesse to the new office, all police emergency calls in the area of responsibility will be centralized in a control center.
At the same time, Beuth again emphasized the quick action of the emergency services.
"As far as I know, the Hessian police acted immediately after receiving the first emergency calls and were at the first crime scene on Heumarkt within just one or two minutes," he explained.
"At the scene of the crime in Hanau-Kesselstadt, the police arrived three to four minutes after the report by emergency call."
Previously, the Hanau public prosecutor had initiated an investigation after reports about a possibly insufficiently manned police emergency number in the city at the time of the attack.
The authority had announced that it was about the allegation that the police emergency number could not be reached on the day of the attack.
On February 19, 2020, a 43-year-old German shot nine people with foreign roots in Hanau.
The man had previously posted pamphlets and videos of conspiracy theories and racist views on the Internet.
After the fact, the 43-year-old is also said to have killed his mother before killing himself.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210202-99-268885 / 2
Report on emergency calls on the Internet