Berlin (dpa / bb) - Almost half a year after the violent death of a 15-year-old schoolgirl in Berlin, the trial against the alleged murderer begins this Thursday (9:30 a.m.).
The 42-year-old German is charged in the proceedings at the regional court of the capital of having strangled the girl on the night of August 5, 2020 on a fallow land in the Rummelsburger Bucht.
Previously, according to the indictment, he should have tried to rape the drunk 15-year-old.
He is said to have dragged her into a bush that she fought violently.
After draining the girl, he reportedly killed her for fear of prosecution.
According to the police, the suspect had presented himself to the police, accompanied by a lawyer.
An arrest warrant was issued against the man, he is in custody, as a court spokeswoman said.
The victim's mother and sister are co-plaintiffs in the trial.
They hoped the process would clarify how it could be that this man was at large, as lawyer Christina Clemm told the German press agency.
It is also about the question of how seriously society takes violence against women.
"It could have happened to any daughter, any sister," said the lawyer, reflecting the co-plaintiffs' opinion.
Clemm did not say whether the mother and sister would come to the trial themselves.
They didn't want to see their personal suffering in the foreground.
Rather, they wanted to make it clear that there are men who are dangerous.
And this would have to be seen much sooner and more strongly so that such acts do not occur.
The accused had already "appeared many times under criminal law," said the court spokeswoman.
After being accused of rape, he was acquitted in 2001 for incapacity, but was initially admitted to a psychiatric hospital.
14 negotiation days are initially planned for the process until mid-March.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210127-99-185896 / 2