Buenos Aires (AFP)

Argentinian justice opened an investigation Friday to determine whether there was negligence in the death of Diego Maradona, the prosecution seeking to know if the global icon has received the necessary care.

"There are already irregularities," a family member told AFP.

A few hours after his death, the lawyer and friend of Maradona, Matias Morla, denounced Thursday the fact "that the ambulance took more than half an hour to arrive at the house where the 10 was".

He warned that he would go "to the end".

But neither he nor any member of his family has yet filed a complaint, a judicial source told AFP.

"The investigation was opened because it is about a deceased person in her home and no one signed her death certificate. This does not mean that there are suspicions of irregularities", a the same source said, on condition of anonymity.

- "Contradictions in the declaration" -

"We have to determine whether they did the right thing or not. The nurse (on duty when Maradona died, editor's note) made a statement to the prosecutor on the day Diego died, and then changed it , to finally go in front of the television and say that what she had indicated had been imposed on her, there is thus a certain contradiction in her statement ", specified to AFP a member of the family who requested anonymity .

The prosecution is awaiting the results of toxicological tests.

He demanded the medical file as well as the recordings of the cameras of the district where Mr. Maradona lived his last days.

Another controversy, the photos of funeral directors posing, thumbs up, next to the open coffin where Maradona's corpse lay before the wake on Thursday, scandalized Argentina despite the repeated pardons of one of the authors on Friday.

Maradona's lawyer has promised to prosecute the culprits.

- The last hours -

The witnesses have already started to be heard.

"We were able to establish that (a nurse in charge of watching over him) is the last person to have seen him alive at around 6.30 am local (09.30 GMT) on Wednesday, during the change of guard," the prosecution said in a statement.

In his testimony, the nurse said Madaradona was "resting in his bed" and assured "that he was sleeping and breathing normally".

In addition, the nurse who took over and was present at the time of death then clarified his testimony and assured to have "heard him move" about an hour later.

Previously, she had indicated that she had seen him sleep at 11 a.m. and had not wanted to disturb him, preferring to wait for the arrival at midday of the psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov and the psychologist Carlos Diaz.

It was they, seeing that Maradona did not react by trying to wake him, who sounded the alarm.

A neighborhood doctor tried to resuscitate him.

The first ambulance arrived at 12:27 p.m., the prosecution said.

- Poor health -

The location of the residence where Maradona was convalescing had been chosen so that he was close to her daughters.

After the operation, her recovery was going well, according to her personal physician, Dr. Luque.

But Maradona's health was fragile due to her cardiac history.

He also suffered from alcohol withdrawal, which he mixed with the many medications he was taking.

"The clinic had recommended that he go elsewhere to be hospitalized, but the family decided otherwise. His daughters signed his discharge from the hospital," said the family member.

Contacted by AFP, his doctor has not yet responded.

The 1986 world champion appeared very weak on October 30, the date of his last appearance, on his 60th birthday, to lead the training of his players at the club Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata.

© 2020 AFP