Waldershof (dpa / lby) - Several people were injured in a fire in a retirement home in Waldershof (Tirschenreuth district).

The fire broke out on Monday evening in the room of a 68-year-old resident, the police said.

According to this, a wheelchair caught fire.

The police consider a burning cigarette to be the cause of the fire.

The 68-year-old, who was lying in bed directly next to the source of the fire when the fire department was rescued, reportedly suffered smoke inhalation and burns to his limbs and face.

A 28-year-old male nurse was also taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

A 22 year old nurse was in shock.

Other residents of the retirement home were not injured.

An evacuation of the home could be prevented according to the information. In total, the fire brigade and rescue service with around 75 emergency services were on site.