In the state of Texas in the United States, the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri was found in the tap water of the city of Lake Jackson, CNN reports.

The Texas Environmental Quality Authority (TCEQ) urged residents to avoid using water.Photo: TCEQ

On Friday, authorities urged residents of eight water-supplying cities in the Brazosport area to avoid using water.

Since then, the call has been withdrawn from all other cities except Lake Jackson.

The events began on September 8, when a 6-year-old boy was hospitalized in Lake Jackson City due to an amoeba.

According to ABC, the boy died in hospital from an infection caused by an amoeba.

Ameba was traced to have come from two possible sources: a fountain in front of the city office building or water leaking from a hose at the boy’s home.

The fountain was immediately closed and the water of the waterfall was examined.

Signs of amoeba were found in samples taken from the source.

Authorities are currently inspecting the city’s water supply.

TCEQ employees have inspected the city's water supply for amoeba.Photo: TCEQ

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), brain-eating amoeba is commonly found in soil, lakes, rivers, and hot springs.

It can also occur in poorly maintained or non-chlorinated pools and factory water waste.

Authorities have inspected all other areas except the Lake Jackson area.Photo: TCEQ

According to the CDC, amoeba infections are rare but usually fatal.

Between 2009 and 2018, 34 Naegleria fowleri infections were reported in the United States.

Between 1962 and 2018, 145 people became infected in the United States and only four of them survived.