Stay informed of the developments surrounding the corona virus at home and abroad in our live blog.
Number of new infections in Germany decreasing
In the past 24 hours, 610 new infections with the corona virus have been reported in Germany. This number of new cases is smaller than that of yesterday (785) and Saturday (1,479). A total of 242,381 people in Germany have become infected with the corona virus.
The Robert Koch Institute (RKI) reported that three deaths have been registered in the past 24 hours. This brings the total number of corona patients deceased in Germany to 9,298.
15 minutes ago
Record number of 160,000 corona tests taken in a week
In the past week, again more corona tests were taken compared to the previous week. In the week of August 24 to 30, the GGDs performed a total of 163,572 tests: an increase of more than 16 percent compared to the week of 17 to 23 August, when that number stood at 140,432.
Both the Ministry of Health and the GGDs expect the number of weekly corona tests to increase further in the near future. The reason for this is the increase in respiratory complaints in the autumn. With a view to this expected growth, the parties are working on expanding the capacity at the test locations.
Since the testing policy was expanded on June 1, a total of 1,181,595 corona tests have been administered.
2 hours ago
Paris wants testing for coronavirus to be possible anywhere in the city
The municipality of Paris wants all residents in the city to be able to have themselves tested for the corona virus free of charge. With three permanent laboratories and two buses, residents of all twenty arrondissements are to be reached.
In the arrondissement of Paris, the number of infections has increased sharply. The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs previously issued an orange travel advice for the region around Paris.
3 hours ago
The catering industry saw its turnover in the second quarter drop by no less than 53.4 percent compared to the previous quarter. This makes the catering industry one of the sectors most affected by the corona crisis, reports the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) on Monday.
6 hours ago
Record number of new infections in India
India registered 78,761 new infections on Sunday. Until now, no country has registered so many new cases within 24 hours.
The total number of infections in India has thus risen to more than 3.5 million. The number of deceased corona patients rose by 1,012 to 62,550 on Sunday.
Despite the record number of new infections, the Indian government has announced some relaxation. For example, trains will be running again and religious gatherings for up to 100 people will be allowed again from next month.
6 hours ago
8 hours ago
Australia reports more deaths, but number of new infections decreases
Australia reports a record number of deaths on Monday: 41 corona patients died within 24 hours. A relatively large number of corona patients die, especially in the state of Victoria. 123 new infections have also been identified in the country. That is the smallest number of new cases in the past two months.
11 hours ago
Unemployed youngster leads to first increase in the number of social assistance recipients in three years
The number of Dutch people receiving social assistance benefits increased for the first time in three years in the past quarter. The main cause is an increase in the number of unemployed young people, the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) reports Monday.
The number of young people up to the age of 27 who received social assistance benefits in the second quarter was more than 5 percent higher than in the same period in 2019. According to CBS economist Peter Hein van Mulligen, the cause should, not surprisingly, be mainly sought in the corona crisis.
Relatively many young people have lost their jobs since the outbreak of COVID-19. "And because young people have not worked for many years and have therefore built up few unemployment benefits, they are more likely to be on social assistance," explains Van Mulligen. Read more here .
yesterday at 11:53 PM
UK reports largest number of new infections since the beginning of June
In the United Kingdom, 1,715 new infections were reported in the past 24 hours, according to data from the British government. That's the largest number of new cases since June 4. In total, nearly 340,000 infections have been diagnosed in the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. To date, more than 41,500 corona patients in the UK have died. This is the fifth largest number of recorded deaths in the world.
yesterday at 11:52 PM
The police in Amstelveen ended an illegal party in the parking lot of the town hall on Laan Nieuwer-Amstel during the night from Saturday to Sunday. According to AT5 , hundreds of people were present. Images show that the parking lot is littered with balloons. Before the end of the party, the partygoers received a warning.
Last night an illegal party was organized behind the #municipal house in #amstelveen. Must have been fun and cozy, but forbidden. See below the mess left behind. The @Gem_Amstelveen will have to clean it up again 😪.Avatar
yesterday at 11:50 PM
The most important corona news of Sunday, August 30, the
- In the past 24 hours, 508 new infections were reported to the RIVM. The number of new cases remained around the daily average of last week for four days in a row.
- Amsterdam (62), The Hague (59) and Rotterdam (50) had the most new positive tests.
- RIVM reported three hospital admissions and no new deaths. A total of 94 corona patients are in the hospital, 2 fewer than yesterday.
- In the Dutch intensive care units (ICs) there are a total of 33 corona patients, 1 less than the previous day. Ernst Kuipers of the National Acute Care Network says that the decline in the number of COVID-19 patients in ICs and hospitals continues "unchanged".
- Minister Wopke Hoekstra (Finance) tested negative. On Friday, the minister took part in a press conference via a video link, because he was suffering from a cold.
- The total number of confirmed coronavirus infections has passed 25 million on Sunday, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
- Most infections are reported in the United States (5,961,581). In second place comes Brazil (3,846,153), followed by India (3,542,733).
- Since lectures began two weeks ago, more than a thousand University of Alabama students have tested positive for the coronavirus.
- In the United Kingdom, 1,715 new infections have been reported in the past 24 hours, according to data from the British government. That is the largest number of new infections since June 4.
- A Belgian epidemiologist warns that the Swedish approach to the coronavirus could lead to a new peak. The epidemiologist works for the Swedish Karolinska Institutet.
- The number of confirmed infections in Germany has increased by 785 to 241,771 in the past 24 hours. It is almost a half compared to the previous day, when 1,479 new infections were registered.
yesterday at 11:50 PM