The lawyers of the relatives of the MH17 disaster in July 2014 said in an explanation to the court on Monday that justice is central. In the court of The Hague there was talk of victim statements still to be given and the submission of damages.
"Answer to the question of what happened on July 17, 2014 is central," said lawyer Arlette Schijns on behalf of the next of kin.
On board the aircraft were 298 people, including 196 Dutch. Nobody survived the disaster. According to the Public Prosecution Service (OM), the aircraft was shot down with a stoop missile from Russia.
Four men are on trial for involvement in the downing of MH17. Only one of them is represented by a team of lawyers.
The relatives themselves prefer to speak of a "reparation payment". So far, 316 surviving relatives have said they want to submit a request for compensation.
The Public Prosecution says that these claims must be submitted by February next year in order to make them known to the suspects in time. They have the right to respond to these claims.
Chances are that suspects will pay compensation
When it comes to the right to speak, 76 people have indicated that they want to speak. Some of them in English and one in German.
Because the disaster took place in 2014, next of kin cannot claim so-called affection damage, or grief money. This law only entered into force in 2019.
None of the suspects have appeared in court since the trial began, so it seems unlikely that they will pay any damages. In that case, the Dutch State will pay out the amount.
See also: Government advances millions in damages, how does this work?