China News Service, August 20. According to Kyodo News on the 19th, a cluster of infections occurred on the USS "Roosevelt" aircraft carrier a few months ago, causing more than 1,000 people to test positive for the new crown virus, which once caused concern. The US military investigation report shows that after the outbreak of the aircraft carrier, the US military planned to transfer the crew including the infected to the US military bases in Okinawa and Kanagawa, Japan.

Data map: USS "Roosevelt" aircraft carrier.

  According to the report, all people infected with the new crown on the "Roosevelt" aircraft carrier eventually disembarked in Guam, but until then, the top priority of the US military was to discuss the plan of airlifting the crew from the aircraft carrier to Okinawa.

  According to reports, the plan was cancelled due to concerns that “relationship with the Japanese government will become complicated” if it is transferred to Okinawa.

  According to the report, the aircraft carrier was diagnosed with the first COVID-19 infection on March 24 during its voyage. The Seventh Fleet Headquarters, which has command authority, began to study the isolation sites for crews, narrowing the scope to a base in Okinawa or Kanagawa, or a private hotel in Guam, the next destination before.

The picture shows the crew undergoing inspection before boarding the "Roosevelt" aircraft carrier.

  The report pointed out that the headquarters and the Marine Corps Third Expeditionary Force negotiated and estimated that Futenma Airport and Marine Corps base in Okinawa Prefecture could secure a total of 3,000 rooms, and the Atsugi base in Kanagawa Prefecture could secure 400 to 600 rooms. At this time, Guam has not secured enough rooms.

  In the end, the Pacific Fleet Command, the superior organization of the Seventh Fleet Command, decided to withdraw the Okinawa plan. The reason was that during the 9-hour flight to Okinawa, there was a risk of further expansion of the infection and the relationship with the Japanese government would become complicated. On April 1, the Governor of Guam formally accepted the crew, and the infection eventually expanded to 1,248.

  The report did not mention whether there had been prior consultations between the Japanese and American governments, and whether the local government was notified. A person from the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that it was “in the planning stage and no inquiry was received”.