China News Service, August 18th. According to the National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) report, there were frequent shootings in New York City. The New York Police Department said that during the weekend from the 14th to the 16th, there were multiple shootings, killing at least 51 people. Injured, 4 people died. US President Trump stated that if local authorities do not stop the violence, he will send federal law enforcement officers to New York City.

Data map: On August 9, local time, pedestrians in Times Square, New York, USA.

  According to police statistics, the number of shootings in New York City in 2020 has increased by 82.1% over 2019, and the number of shooting victims has increased by 88.5%. Police say that from January 1 to August 16, more than 1,000 people were shot in New York City. As of August 16, there were 259 homicides, an increase of more than 30% compared with 199 in the same period in 2019.

  While the police were investigating the gun case, Trump issued a warning to New York Mayor De Blasio. On the evening of the 16th local time, he wrote on the social networking site: "Law and Order. If the Mayor of New York cannot do it, we will do it."

  On the 17th, De Blasio refuted Trump as a "bluff". He said that the recent increase in the number of arrests of gunmen was "a hopeful sign", indicating that the New York Police Department "will reverse this trend." New York Governor Cuomo also said that he believes that New York City has enough manpower to deal with the surge in gun violence.

  Trump ordered the expansion of the "Legendary Operation" in July. "Operation Legend" is a federal law enforcement operation aimed at combating violent crime in American cities. When announcing the expansion of the plan, Trump stated that due to the rising rate of violent crime in various cities in the United States, he "has no choice but to participate."

  Recently, the U.S. government has met with widespread opposition for deploying federal law enforcement officers to Portland. In Portland, demonstrators and federal police clashed for several weeks. However, after most federal law enforcement officers left the area, clashes between the protesters and state and local police continued.