Stay informed about the developments surrounding the corona virus at home and abroad in our live blog.
577 new infections
On Sunday, the RIVM reported that 577 new infections with the corona virus were added in the Netherlands in the past 24 hours. That is more than on Friday (519) and Saturday (486), but less than Thursday (601). No deaths were reported on Sunday.
Three people with COVID-19 have been added to intensive care, reports the National Coordination Center for Patient Distribution (LCPS). In total, 31 people with the corona virus are now on the various ICs.
Besides the ICs, 87 people with the corona virus have been admitted to hospitals, 8 more than Saturday.
The LCPS is not concerned yet. "The increase in the number of COVID patients admitted is still within the bandwidth of the past few days," says chairman Ernst Kuipers.
one minute ago
5 hours ago
US President Donald Trump has declared support measures for economic victims of corona. Negotiations with the Democrats about it broke down, after which Trump decided to sign decrees himself.
Trump signs support package: '400 dollars for financially hit American'
6 hours ago
Australia reports deadliest corona day in the state of Victoria
In the southern state of Victoria, at least seventeen people have died from the consequences of the corona virus in the last 24 hours. 394 new infections were added. It is the largest number of corona deaths since the COVID-19 outbreak in Australia.
Police were able to prevent a banned corona demonstration from taking place in Melbourne, the capital of Victoria on Saturday. There is a night clock in that city and people must stay indoors as much as possible. Much of the economy is locked up.
9 hours ago
Corona infections found again at two mink farms
The Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV) reports that corona infections were again found at two mink farms. These are fur farms in Elsendorp (municipality of Gemert-Bakel, North Brabant) and Vredepeel (municipality of Venray, Limburg) ( Read more ).
9 hours ago
Anesthesiologists: In terms of staffing not ready for new corona peak
There is currently too few skilled personnel to be able to scale up during a second corona peak in intensive care units (ICs) and to allow regular care to continue. This is what Caroline van der Marel, chair of the Dutch Association for Anaesthesiology, says in conversation with NU.nl ( Read more ).
11 hours ago
New Zealand has not reported a new corona infection for a hundred days
In New Zealand, a hundred days passed without new corona infections on Sunday. There are still 23 active corona cases in the country, all of which are in isolation. A total of 1,219 people in New Zealand are or have been infected with the virus.
At the beginning of June, the last corona patient in the country was declared cured and all corona measures, except for border controls, were lifted. According to experts , the fact that the numbers are relatively small is partly due to the geographic location of New Zealand and the strict measures that the government took to prevent the spread of the corona virus.
11 hours ago
14 hours ago
Economic emergency package in US despite stalled negotiations
US President Donald Trump signed four executive orders on Saturday that will bring a second economic emergency package for the corona crisis after negotiations about this in the US congress had failed.
The executive orders continue, among other things, the temporary unemployment benefit, although it has been reduced from 600 dollars (about 509 euros) a week to 400 dollars a week. A quarter of this has to be paid by the individual states, but they are faced with large financial deficits and have already said they cannot afford this.
Read on here .
15 hours ago
Brazilian death toll with corona doubles to 100,000 in fifty days
In Brazil, the number of corona deaths passed 100,000 on Saturday evening and the number of corona infections reached three million. Experts expect the number of deaths and infections to only increase.
Between March and the end of June, Brazil recorded 50,000 corona deaths, which has doubled within fifty days. In the United States alone, there are more corona infections (4.9 million) and corona deaths (162,000).
Despite the record figures, the Brazilian government continues to announce new easing. For example, restaurants and shops are reopening in many cities and international air traffic has been allowed again since July 30. Read more here .
yesterday at 11:42 PM
Visitors to the beach in Bloemendaal must go home, the police reported. This was decided because too many people did not comply with the corona measures.
Currently, there are too many people on the beach of #Bloemendaal who do not follow the corona measures. The large crowds mean that the police, in consultation with the municipality and @vrkennemerland, are requesting beachgoers to leave the beach and go home. Everything calmAvatar
yesterday at 11:41 PM
Paris has since announced more about the duty to mask masks. The measure will initially apply for one month. Anyone who does not comply with the rule can be fined € 135. The masking obligation will only apply in certain busy places. Tourist attractions such as the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Elysees are not covered.
# COVID19 😷 | Le port du masque sera obligatoire à #Paris dans les zones à forte fréquentation de personnes à compter du lundi 10 août à 8h. https://t.co/HOfho8JcQnPour plus the details consultez notre communiqué de presse 👇Avatar
yesterday at 11:40 PM
The most important corona news from Saturday, August 8, the
- In the past 24 hours, 486 new infections with the corona virus have come to light, according to data from the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).
- Germany will definitively cover the costs for corona patients from the Netherlands and other EU Member States who have been treated in Germany. 58 Dutch people were admitted to German hospitals.
- Thousands of parents have still not returned their own contribution to childcare . They receive a refund because the childcare centers were temporarily closed for most children due to the corona crisis.
- Two players from Willem II and Feyenoord have tested positive for the corona virus. For privacy reasons, it has not been disclosed which persons are involved.
- The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued new travel advice for Aruba, Estonia and Latvia. The advice has changed from yellow (safety risks) to orange (only necessary trips).
- German travelers returning from high-risk countries must be tested for the corona virus as of today. Those who refuse risk a fine of up to 25,000 euros.
- The English mouth caps duty has been expanded. A face mask is now mandatory in all buildings where many people come together. The English already had to wear masks in public transport, shops and some other locations.
- Paris also imposes a duty of masking. From Monday, mouth masks must be worn in certain places in the city.
- The American negotiations on a new aid package in the United States are failing. Democrats and Republicans have not come to an agreement.
yesterday at 11:40 PM