"I have never abused anyone": implicated in 2019 in the United States for sexual harassment, contaminated with Covid-19 but now recovered, the famous Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo has "found his voice" , both to again deny his accusers and to repeat his recitals.
"I have changed. I am no longer afraid. When I found out I had the Covid, I promised myself that if I made it out alive, I would fight to clear my name - I did never abused anyone, I will repeat it as long as I live, "said the opera superstar, in an exclusive interview published Thursday by the Italian daily La Repubblica.
Placido Domingo, 79, announced in March from his refuge in Acapulco (Mexico) that he had tested positive for the new coronavirus, then had been hospitalized.
"Finding my voice was a miracle (...) Two or three months ago, I wasn't sure I could sing again," he told La Repubblica.
"The only thing that worries me now is leaving my refuge in Acapulco, where I haven't moved for months; I have never spent so much time at home with my wife, my son, my daughter-in-law and my two grandchildren, "says the singer, confident that the confinement had been" an extraordinary moment, useful for reflecting on our lives, our choices ".
"Now is the time to get back to normal." But "our lives have changed. And as you know, it is even more difficult for me because of the accusations that have been leveled against me" in the media.
These accusations "destabilized myself and my family" and "hurt me more than the virus. All that remains for me to do is take note that for now I will not be able to sing in some parts. of the world, like the United States and Spain, my country. And certainly not because of a choice made by the public, which constantly sends me messages of solidarity. (...) But what to do? C 'is life!".
Placido Domingo was accused in 2019 in the American press of having sexually harassed twenty women in the United States. This forced him to give up his post as director of the Los Angeles Opera and to cancel all his performances across the Atlantic, de facto ending his career in North America.
Placido Domingo, accustomed to ovations around the world and who has recorded a hundred albums, found himself caught up by the #MeToo movement, born in the wake of the accusations against the film producer Harvey Weinstein in October 2017.
© 2020 AFP