After the potential takeover of a Saudi-backed investment group collapsed, British media reports revealed the identity of two teams from the English Premier League teams that opposed the completion of the deal.
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley was ready to sell the club to the BCB Capital Partners and Robin Brothers group led by Amanda Staffley, which also included the Saudi Public Investment Fund, in a deal worth more than £ 305 million ($ 400.68 million).
But the takeover bid, which was announced in April, had not passed the Premier League club test and the group withdrew its offer on Thursday.
According to reports, the two teams are Liverpool, champion of the season, holders of the UEFA Champions League last season, Tottenham and summer of "Reds" last season in the continental competition.
While some reports emerged of interest from potential buyers in the United States, no real offer has yet emerged, and sources close to the group said there was no competitive bid.
The group blamed the long scrutiny and global uncertainty over the Corona pandemic for the decision to withdraw from the Newcastle acquisition, although Staffle suggested that there might be some way to complete the deal.
Newcastle manager Charley offered a similar hope, saying Ashley was still committed to the Saudi deal.
The club is still on sale by Ashley, but chances of finding a new buyer may be affected by the economic uncertainty after the pandemic.
Newcastle has not played in the Champions League since 2004 and has not won the Premier League title since 1927 and the FA Cup since 1955, despite having one of the biggest fan bases in the country.
One of the main problems in the lack of continuity of the show is the dispute over Saudi Arabia's response to illegal broadcasts of matches of the Premier League matches through the B-Q channels.
A source close to the deal said that the Saudi Public Investment Fund offered to form a Saudi "consortium" to purchase broadcasting rights in Saudi Arabia after withdrawing the license of the Qatar sports network, which owns the rights, to broadcast in the Kingdom.
Another source close to the deal blamed the collapse in the acquisition of the Premier League.
"The problem with the deal was the Premier League's lack of tolerance. All the others were happy to move forward with the deal," he said.
The Premier League, which last year appointed a legal adviser to deal with broadcasting crises in Saudi Arabia, declined to comment.