Stay up-to-date with the developments surrounding the corona virus in the Netherlands and abroad in our live blog.
US reaches new daily record of infections of 70,000
The United States reached a new daily record of infections on Friday. Over 70,000 new corona infections have been reported in the past 24 hours. This is the seventh time that the daily record is broken in July alone , according to Reuters news agency .
The meanwhile broken record was 69,070 last week. American top virologist Anthony Fauci fears a point where 100,000 new infections are reported daily.
a few seconds ago
Australian state of Victoria reports daily record of new infections
Again a daily record of new infections is reported on Friday, this time in the Australian state of Victoria. The state reports 428 new infections, while the previous record was 317.
Victoria is the second most populous state in Australia, where the virus has broken out again for the past week. The 4.9 million inhabitants of the state capital, Melbourne, are only allowed to go outside for essentials.
2 hours ago
Mexico strengthens corona measures in tourist areas
The Mexican authorities have decided to tighten corona measures in several areas, particularly popular tourist locations. Among other things, people in the beach resort of Tulum can be fined if they do not wear a mask in places where this is necessary. While Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is keen to reboot the economy, local authorities fear a revival of the virus.
In Mexico, 36,906 people have died from the virus so far, the fourth-highest death toll worldwide.
4 hours ago
The most important corona news of Thursday, July 16, the
- The number of corona patients who are in intensive care units in Dutch hospitals fell by five on Thursday to a total of fifteen.
- The number of corona patients who are in a normal nursing ward in the hospital has also fallen by five to eighty.
- The unemployment rate in the Netherlands has increased extremely rapidly in June. In May 3.6 percent of the labor force was unemployed, in June this percentage increased to 4.3 percent.
- The government's corona app CoronaMelder is expected to be available nationwide on September 1. The app must warn people if they have been close to another user who has subsequently been infected with the corona virus.
- Should the coronavirus revive, it is not the intention that there will again be a national ban on visiting nursing homes . Minister Hugo de Jonge wrote this in a letter to the House of Representatives on Thursday afternoon.
- The Security Council wants the ban on cheering, screaming and chants in stadiums and demonstrations to be abolished.
- The Dutch can embrace their other half from outside the European Union on 27 July. Dutch partners may reside in the Netherlands every six months for a period of three months, as long as the corona crisis lasts.
- The online sales declined in the first quarter of this year because many fewer holidays and flights are booked a year earlier. This is due to the corona crisis and this development continued in the second quarter.
- Another record number of new corona infections in the United States was reported on Wednesday . The number of infections increased by 67,632 to 3,495,537 in total. In the US, more than 130,000 people have died from the effects of the coronavirus.
- Anthony Fauci , the chief American virologist and advisor to President Donald Trump, said on Wednesday that he was surprised at "bizarre attempts" by the US government to blacken him.
- In Spain , 580 new infections with the corona virus were detected on Thursday. That is a significant increase compared to Wednesday's 390 and the highest daily number since May 10.
- The coronavirus has also been found in a mink farm in Spain . The farm east of the Spanish capital Madrid is being cleared.
- As of next week, France will introduce a broad-based mask for all publicly accessible buildings.
- The United States, the United Kingdom and Canada point to Russian hackers as the culprits behind digital attacks on research into COVID-19 treatments and vaccines.
- The Chinese can return to cinemas from July 20. Due to the corona virus, the movie houses were closed for almost six months.
4 hours ago