The worst cause of wrinkles is the sun's UVA radiation. Therefore, the most effective way to avoid the signs of premature aging is to use sunscreen.
Read more: 75-90% of wrinkles are caused by the sun - sun protection can stop skin aging
If you want to protect your skin even more precisely, in addition to sunscreen, another topical product in the summer are creams and serums containing vitamin C.
In recent years, vitamin C has become an actual hit ingredient in cosmetics.
- If you ever plan to use vitamin C at all, it should be put on your face now. For example, I don't use it myself in winter, but now summer is the right time in the morning, says dermatologist Carl Kyrklund from Helsinki Skin Hospital.
Read more: Why does everyone want vitamin C on their skin now? The beauty effects of the hit substance are clear
Vitamin C counteracts the mechanism by which wrinkles form
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is an antioxidant. Antioxidants prevent free radical oxidation on the skin.
When sunscreen protects the skin from the effects of UV rays, vitamin C counteracts the mechanism by which wrinkles form.
- The reason we get wrinkles is actually due to free radicals. They activate enzymes that break down collagen, Kyrklund says.
- Antioxidants such as vitamin C counteract free radicals. Vitamin C therefore has a direct effect on the aging of the skin.
Kyrklund says that the antioxidant effect of vitamin C has been studied to be effective against damage caused by the sun's UV radiation.
- Last year, I attended an international congress on scientific evidence for vitamin C creams. The message of the lecture was that there is evidence in particular that vitamin C helps repair damage caused by UV exposure.
Sunscreen protects against wrinkles, liver spots and pigmentation
However, the dermatologist emphasizes that the effect of vitamin C products is nowhere near the effectiveness of using sunscreen.
- Of course, sunscreen is essentially much more important. But if you want something extra during the summer season, then vitamin C cream is a good choice.
In addition to burning, the sunscreen protects the skin from aging changes such as wrinkles, liver spots and pigmentation.
Read more: Dark marks on the skin? Dermatologist explains what causes liver spots and melasma, how to prevent them and how to treat them
- People spend a lot of money trying to look young, and at the same time they sunbathe. The majority of skin aging is related to the effects of the sun, so using anti-age products can be quite pointless if you don’t use sunscreen.
Read more: In addition to UV rays, heat radiation and visible light also age the skin
7 great vitamin C products
Elizabeth Arden Vitamin C Ceramide Capsules Radiance Renewal Serum is packaged in doses in capsules, 89 € / 60 pcs.
Photo: Elizabeth Arden
Lumene Nordic-C Glow Boost Essence is an effective hyaluronic acid concentrate containing vitamin C from the Finnish favorite brand, € 29.90 / 30 ml.
Lixirski's Vitamin C Paste is a pasty morning mask that melts on the skin, € 35.90 / 50 ml.
Dermalogica BioLumin-C Serum is one of the treatment brand's favorite serums, € 79.40 / 30 ml.
Ole Henriksen's Truth C-Rush Brightening Gel-Crème belongs to the annealed vitamin C line of the popular skin care brand, 59 € / 50 ml.
Photo: Ole Henriksen
SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic is one of the best products the undersigned has ever tried. The cult product is titled one of the most effective sera in the world, 162 € / 30 ml.
Pixi Vitamin-C Tonic treatment liquid is applied to clean faces first before any other treatment products, € 30.50 / 250 ml.