▲ LG Polymers plant in Andhra Pradesh, southern India
A gas leak accident occurred at a LG Chemical-related plant in southern India, where six residents were poisoned and hundreds were hospitalized.
Reuters reported on the 7th that more than six residents of the LG Polymers India plant in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, South, died of toxic gas exposure this morning.
Local media such as NDTV reported that the number of deaths was five.
Children were also reported to be among the dead.
Local police said to AFP, "200 to 500 people are being treated at a nearby hospital," and "more than 70 of them are unconscious."
Times of India reported that more than 1,000 residents felt nausea.
The newspaper added that a gas leak occurred around 3 am on the same day, and local residents unconscious and lying on the road were also seen.
The police explained that gas was leaked from two 5,000-ton tanks in the LG Polymers plant.
In India, there have been nationwide blockades since March 25 to prevent the spread of Corona19, so it was reported that there was little manpower in the factory at the time of the accident.
An industry insider said, “I know that there was no damage to Koreans because I was working only for the minimum number of people at the time of the accident.
According to officials, residents near the factory complained of shortness of breath along with symptoms of eye irritation.
Authorities are in the process of dispatching rescue teams and police, including fire trucks, to the scene.
An evacuation order was also issued to villagers near the factory.
ANI Communications reported that the local Hindustan Polymers plant was acquired by LG Chem and changed its name to LG Polymers in 1997.
(Photo = ANI Communication Twitter account capture, Yonhap News)