Retired Major General Khalifa Haftar's forces have again targeted civilians in Tripoli, killing a family. The bombing comes hours after the Al-Wefaq government forces launched an attack on Al-Wattia base in western Libya.
A man, his wife and their son were killed yesterday evening by bombardments by Grad rockets carried out by Haftar forces on the Hadaba area in the Abu Salim neighborhood, south of Tripoli.
The man and his wife were killed instantly, while the child died after being transferred to the hospital, and activists released pictures showing the remnants of the missile explosion at the home.
Dozens of civilians have been killed by rockets fired by gunmen loyal to Haftar on residential neighborhoods on the southern outskirts of Tripoli, which have seen fighting since the start of the Haftar attack on the capital in early April last year.
The targeting of civilians in Tripoli comes after bloody clashes in the vicinity of the Al-Wattia base between gunmen loyal to Haftar and forces affiliated with the Al-Wefaq government, which tried to control the base, which covers an area of forty square kilometers, and is 140 kilometers from Tripoli.
Nearly twenty people were killed and more than thirty others wounded in the clashes. Among the dead were the leader of the al-Qaeda Protection Force, Osama Amsek.
According to the agreement announced by the Al-Wefaq government, the al-Wefaq volcano operation, during the attack on an armed vehicle, Al-Wefaq forces destroyed ten other mechanisms of Haftar's forces, before they withdrew to their positions on the outskirts of al-Qaeda and in some camps in the cities of the west coast of Libya.
For his part, spokesman for the Al-Wefaq government forces, Muhammad Qanunu, said that the air force carried out new raids on the base this morning, Wednesday, bringing to 24 the number of raids targeting the base since yesterday morning.
Haftar’s aviation responded with raids that killed the al-Wefaq government forces, a spokesman said.
As for the war media affiliated to Haftar forces, he said that the latter repelled the attack on the Al-Watiyah base, and spoke of killing 40 and wounding dozens of other members of the Al-Wefaq forces.
Al-Jazeera correspondent Nasser Shadid suggested that the battle over the Al-Wataya base would be long and difficult, pointing to the strong resistance of Haftar loyalists who killed and injured the ranks of the reconciliation forces.
|Bensouda renewed the call to arrest Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and extradite him to the International Criminal Court (Reuters)|
For its part, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Fatou Bensouda, said that the court is currently working on issuing new warrants to arrest individuals in Libya suspected of war crimes, and renewed its call to arrest Saif al-Islam al-Gaddafi and hand him over to the court in The Hague on charges of committing war crimes during the revolution on mother.
During a session of the UN Security Council yesterday via a television circuit, Bensouda urged the council to bring those accused of war crimes in Libya to justice, and indicated that Haftar did not facilitate the arrest of the wanted criminal court officer, Mahmoud Al-Warfali, who executed dozens of people in the streets of the eastern city of Benghazi.
She said her office was concerned about the high number of civilian casualties, noting the Haftar forces' attack on Tripoli more than a year ago.
For his part, Mark Simonov, the representative of the American Mission in the Security Council, said that it is a shame that many of the most famous perpetrators of crimes against the Libyan people still enjoy impunity, referring to Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi, Mahmoud Al-Worfali, Al-Tohami Khaled and Abdullah Al-Senussi.
Simonov called on those who provide shelter for Tuhami, the former head of the Libyan Internal Security Agency, to end their protection for him, referring to Egypt, where the man resides on its soil.
Belgium's delegate to the United Nations, Mark Buxstein, also expressed his country's deep concern over the failure of Egypt and Haftar's forces to cooperate with the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to implement arrest warrants for deserters.
As for the German Deputy Delegate to the United Nations, Jurgen Schultz, he confirmed that Haftar forces are responsible for more than 80% of attacks on civilians and health facilities in Libya.
Schultz said that the blatant and persistent disregard by Haftar's forces for civilian lives requires a response from the International Criminal Court.
During the same meeting, Libya's permanent representative to the United Nations, Taher Al-Sunni, affirmed the Libyan judiciary's intention to prosecute Hifter for the violations and crimes committed by his forces since the beginning of the attack on Tripoli and its environs, and the violations committed by his forces in the cities of the Libyan east and south.