The entry of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson into intensive care has led politicians and other influencers around the world to wish Johnson a speedy recovery. On March 26, the prime minister, who received a positive corona test result, was placed in intensive care on Monday after his condition had unexpectedly deteriorated.
At his daily coronavir virus briefing, U.S. President Donald Trump wished Johnson, his “very good friend,” a speedy recovery, according to Reuters and The Guardian, among others. Trump said all Americans “pray for his healing”.
He said he was very sad to hear that Johnson was taken to intensive care. Trump and Johnson have generally got along well politically.
- I think Boris is a fantastic person, a fantastically warm, strong and smart man. He loves his country. He has fought really hard for his country. But getting into intensive care is a big deal, a really big deal ... Trump spoke according to The Guardian when asked about Boris Johnson.
French President Emmanuel Macron sent his greetings to Johnson on Twitter.
- I send all my support to Boris Johnson, his family and the English people in these difficult times. Hopefully he will survive this ordeal quickly, Macron tweeted.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also sent greetings to Johnson.
- I wish Prime Minister Boris Johnson a full and rapid recovery. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hopefully we’ll see you again soon at Number 10, Trudeau wrote, referring to the address where the British Prime Minister’s official residence is located.
- My thoughts and prayers are with Boris Johnson and his family now that he continues to receive treatment in the hospital. This terrible virus makes no exceptions. Anyone can get it. Anyone might spread it. Please stay home to save lives, tweeted former British Prime Minister Theresa May.
Benjamin Netanyahu, the Prime Minister of Israel since 2009, called for a speedy recovery on behalf of the entire Israeli people. He also attached a picture of himself and Boris Johnson to his tweet.
Well-known author of the Harry Potter book series, JK Rowling described the news as awful.
- I wish him a speedy recovery and think of his family. Here again, there is new evidence that this virus makes no exceptions. We need to protect each other and slow the spread of the virus by staying at home.
Among others, numerous British politicians have recently commented that they are shocked by the deteriorating state of Johnson. British Labor leader Keir Starmer described the news as “terribly sad”.
- All the thoughts of our country are with the Prime Minister and his family during this incredibly difficult time, he wrote on Twitter.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan, meanwhile, said he was praying that Johnson’s condition would begin to improve today. He noted that St. Thomas Hospital, where Johnson is being treated, employs “one of the best staff in the world and could not be in safer hands”.
Scottish National Party leader Nicola Sturgeon and British Trade Secretary Liz Truss, among others, have also wished Johnson a speedy recovery.