London (AFP)

Liverpool announced on Saturday that it will place part of its non-player staff on short work due to the economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

Employees will benefit from the partial unemployment program set up by the British government which supports 80% of income up to 2,500 pounds per month (or 2,800 euros), the club adding the remaining 20%.

"Employees will be paid 100% of their salary to ensure that no staff member is financially disadvantaged," said the leader of the championship of England in a statement.

Three other elite clubs, Tottenham, Newcastle and Norwich, had already announced similar measures.

The use of short-time working by Liverpool executives, who announced in February pre-tax profits of £ 42 million (€ 47 million) for 2018/19, has drawn criticism.

Former Reds, Jamie Carragher and Stan Collymore, castigated the club's decision.

"Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for everyone at the start of this pandemic, executive players were heavily involved in the Premier League players' pay cuts. And all that respect and goodwill is gone down, Liverpool, "Carragher tweeted.

Collymore was more virulent: "I do not know any Liverpool supporter of any rank who is not disgusted by the club for putting staff on short work".

Regarding the players and possible salary cuts, the Mersey club added that "the discussions are complex and, therefore, the process is underway".

A statement came after the British government on Thursday called on Premier League players accused of taking advantage of economic support measures to forfeit part of their wages.

© 2020 AFP