United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that there should be only one battle in the world today, and that is the battle against the Corona virus. And Guterres blamed - at a press conference today - retired Major General Khalifa Hifter, the responsibility for starting the war in Tripoli, calling on him and the Al-Wefaq government to stop fighting for the sake of the epidemic.
The UN Secretary-General warned that "the storm of the Corona virus is coming to all theaters of conflict", and that the virus showed how quickly it has spread, and said that the worst is yet to come, and added that a large number of parties to the conflict in the world have responded to the call for a ceasefire to confront a virus Corona Novel.
On the Libyan issue, Guterres stated that "it was clear that Haftar was the one who attacked Tripoli, and that was the beginning of the conflict, but my goal now is to stop the war." He called Haftar and the internationally recognized government of reconciliation to realize that "this is the moment to stop the conflict ... and unify Powers to confront Corona. "
The UN official indicated that the clashes in Libya had escalated significantly despite the welcome of the Tripoli government and Haftar's forces to calls for a humanitarian truce to confront the Corona epidemic.
Stephen Dujarric, a spokesman for the Secretary-General of the International Organization, said yesterday, "It appears that the party responsible for the escalation of violence is forces belonging to the successor of Haftar," calling on all parties to respect the ceasefire in the country.
The number of people infected in Libya with the emerging disease is 11, and the first death from the virus was recorded - according to what the National Center for Disease Control published on its official page on Facebook - late Thursday, and the center explained that the matter is related to a 85-year-old woman.
And the authorities in eastern and western Libya in the middle of last month made decisions to confront the threat of the virus, the most important of which was the closure of land and sea ports for three weeks, the suspension of the study, and the imposition of a curfew for a period of 17 hours per day.
By tomorrow, it will be a year since Haftar launched an attack on April 4, 2019 to invade Tripoli under the pretext of fighting terrorist groups and militias, and the battles between Haftar forces and the al-Wefaq government have left hundreds dead and more than 150,000 displaced.
Syria and Yemen
On the other hand, the Secretary-General of the United Nations said that he is working to stop the cease-fire all over Syria, in order to allow the arrival of humanitarian aid. He called on the parties to the conflict in Yemen to end the fighting and the "human nightmare" in the country, and to sit at the negotiating table.
On the Afghan issue, Guterres said it is time "for the government and the Taliban to stop hostilities against the Coruna virus."