Nationally, no significantly more reports or requests for advice about domestic violence have yet been received by the Veilig Thuis organization, despite the fact that families are closer together as a result of the corona measures. Nevertheless, there are concerns, a spokesperson reported to NU.nl on Wednesday after an inventory at all 26 locations in the country.
"The intake at Veilig Thuis has been stable over the past week compared to the average number of advice and reports," it is reported.
That seems positive, but national chairman Debbie Maas reports that it does not reassure them yet. "Due to the corona measures, partners such as district teams, education and the police have less insight than usual about domestic violence and child abuse. Moreover, we expect tensions to increase due to fear of corona and stress due to possible job loss."
It is also pointed out that people's daily rhythm is disrupted as a result of the measures. "We are particularly concerned about vulnerable people who were already struggling before the corona time."
It is not known whether there will be an increase in reports in the coming period. "It is actually too early to make a well-founded statement about this. We are concerned." All organizations involved in a family, such as educational institutions and the police, are called upon to "stay in touch" as much as possible and to discuss growing tensions.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in our live blog.
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.