The United States has more than 100,000 confirmed corona patients, according to figures from the prestigious Johns Hopkins University and a poll conducted by Reuters news agency. US health authorities will publish the official number of illnesses on Saturday.
At least 15,000 Americans were said to have been infected on Friday, a small decrease from Thursday when 16,000 new patients were affected. In the country, nearly 1,600 patients have died so far.
The US is struggling to fight coronavirus. Medical professionals have been talking about a shortage of mouth masks and respiratory machines and many Americans might not know if they are infected due to a lack of test capacity. In addition, the fact that President Donald Trump denied the severity of the virus for weeks did not help in the preparation.
Trump activated a 1950 law on Friday that provides him with more resources: the Defense Production Act. With that, he can order companies to adjust their production, as Trump did Friday at car concern General Motors (GM), which will create respiratory machines.
100,000 new breathing machines in the next three months
The President plans to produce approximately 100,000 breathing machines in the next three months. Doctors across the country called on him after they treated corona patients last month with a lack of medical devices.
In New York State, where nearly half of all cases of illness have been diagnosed, doctors are said to have bought protective clothing on the black market, Reuters news agency writes . Hospitals are said to have deposited thousands of dollars to protect their personnel from the virus.
See also: "New York is extinct, except for miles of grocery store lines"
Follow the latest developments around the virus in our live blog.
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.