On Monday night, a threatening fire occurred on Merikoskenkatu Oulu, where one person was injured.

At 21:56, the rescue service was alerted to a building fire when a resident of the lower floor of a 5-story apartment block smelled smoke from the stairwell and called the emergency center.

The rescue service located the source of smoke on the second floor apartment. The resident did not open the door, so the rescue service entered through the balcony. The apartment was covered with smoke down to the floor. The rescue department found a resident in the apartment who was in an unconscious state. She was transported by smoke smokers to the emergency room.

A threatening fire broke out in the kitchen of the apartment but could not spread outside the kitchen.

Photo: Ville Honkonen

The resident began responding to the rescuers after entering the stairwell in the middle of the smoke. He was transported to the hospital for further examination.

The fire chief Marko Hottinen from the Oulu-Koillismaa Rescue Department says the fire was limited to the kitchen stove. The kitchen cabinets were badly charred, but the fire had not spread because it had not received additional oxygen.

This apartment is uninhabitable for at least a few days, but the other 15 apartments in the stairwell can live.

Hottinen estimates that the cause of the fire may have been reckless cooking.

According to the media service of the rescue service, at least nine rescue units were present.

Photo: Ville Honkonen

The resident was first transported to a primary care facility and then to a hospital.

Photo: Ville Honkonen