The fight against coronavirus has succeeded in making astonishing progress in a short space of time, the WHO announced today at a press conference in Cairo, Egypt's capital.
WHO regional emergency director Richard Brennan said the trends were promising, but added that he was not yet at a turning point.
To date, more than 2,000 people have died of coronavirus. Almost all of these virus deaths have occurred in mainland China. The first news of the spread of the coronavirus came from Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei, in late December.
One case of corona on the African continent
Egypt's Ministry of Health reported last week the first confirmed case of coronavirus in the African continent. The infected person was an alien whose nationality was not disclosed.
In a joint statement with the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population on Wednesday, the WHO said that in subsequent tests the same person had negative results. On Friday, he had a positive sample.
On Wednesday, it was not yet clear why the patient's results were now negative. On Wednesday, a WHO senior official assured AFP that a negative result for a patient in quarantine does not mean that the African continent is virus-free.
According to him, other countries may have carriers of the disease that may not have become known.
During Wednesday's meeting, WHO officials said Egypt's virus patient was still under surveillance. However, he has no symptoms typical of the virus.
WHO Egyptian-director John Jabbour told AFP that the organization will see to it that Africa would be free of that virus cases with the exception of Egypt.
"Claims of disguising the severity of the disease are unfounded"
Emergency director Brennan addressed AFP inaccurate information on social media.
"There is no evidence that it (the virus) was developed in the laboratory or as a biological weapon," he said.
The allegations that China was trying to cover up the severity of the disease are, in Brennan's words, "plainly unfounded."