The Guardian revealed that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was personally responsible for the hacking of the phone of American billionaire Jeff Bezos, founder of the Amazon website and owner of the Washington Post, through a message he sent to him from his personal account through the WhatsApp application.
The British newspaper - quoted sources familiar with the results of a forensic digital analysis related to the case - said that the letter sent by the Saudi Crown Prince to Bezos contained a malicious file that penetrated the phone of the American billionaire.
The analysis concluded that it is "very likely" that the phone was hacked by video file that bin Salman sent to Bezos.
The Guardian indicated that bin Salman's letter was sent on May 1, 2018, five months before the killing of his journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, at his country's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
The newspaper stressed - quoting a source familiar with the analysis - that large amounts of data were withdrawn from the Bezos phone, without revealing its nature.
She also said that digital security experts took over the investigation that reached these results, after the American tabloid "National Enquirer" revealed an intimate relationship with Bezos, about nine months after the date of his phone being hacked.
Bezos had said that he had been subjected to extortion, adding that his newspaper’s coverage of the Khashoggi killing was “undoubtedly unpopular in some circles”, noting that the relationship between American Media, the owner of the National Enquirer, and Riyadh is still not fully understood.