Düsseldorf (AP) - Innogy manager Bernhard Günther, seriously injured in an acid attack, sees the motive behind the deed in the "professional environment". The 52-year-old said in an interview with the "Handelsblatt" that he suspected a special person as the client. A suspect was arrested at the end of October and released after a good four weeks.
After the arrest, several media had already reported suspicions of a competitor. When asked by the “Handelsblatt”, Günther said whether he suspected a very special person: “Yes. Interestingly, the public prosecutor's office did not object to these media reports. However, the judiciary has apparently not yet had sufficient evidence. And we rightly apply the principle of presumption of innocence. »
Günther referred in the interview to the restlessness at Innogy at the time of the acid attack. Had he been “taken out of the game” at the time, there would have been room on the board. "Crimes have already been committed for lower sums," said Günther to the "Handelsblatt". According to the manager, he believes that the attack should blind him: "If someone is keen on your job or believes that you are in the way of their career, that would be a very effective method," said Günther in Interview.
The Innogy CFO was attacked on March 4, 2018 after jogging near his home in Haan near Düsseldorf by hooded people and poured highly concentrated acid.
Günther told the Handelsblatt newspaper about the health consequences: "I still have a long way to go and of course there will always be visible traces." Aside from the aesthetics, "his eyes were still causing problems". It remains to be seen whether that “will ever be really good again,” says Günther. There are still places and activities that he avoids: "Where the risk seems too high to me, for example jogging alone."
The Innogy manager again criticized the work of the investigative and judicial authorities. The police had been tracked down by the suspect - and released again - by hints from lawyers and private detectives that Günther had hired. "After the suspect had been identified, it took the police more than five months to present me with pictures to identify the man," said Günther in the interview. He had heard of the suspect's release from a press request and not from the court: «Formally, everything may have gone correctly. But it shows a blatant lack of empathy and compassion for the victim. »
The manager does not rule out that the case will never be resolved. «But if the theory that is currently the focus is correct, there is at least something comforting for me: the motive for the act is no longer there. My job as CFO will soon cease to exist, ”said Günther. Innogy is taken over by Eon.
Interview in the Handelsblatt