• Alagna Valsesia, dead ski mountaineer run over by avalanche


by Tiziana Di Giovannandrea 15 December 2019A Valle d'Aosta mountain guide died in an avalanche in Valtournenche, in the Aosta Valley. A woman died, overwhelmed by an avalanche on the Alpe di Siusi in South Tyrol. A young ski mountaineer lost his life above Alagna, at three thousand meters of the Civera pass in Alto Adige. All three run over by landslides. The story of today's day in the mountains is tragic.

Valle d'Aosta
The Val d'Aosta financier and mountain guide, Roberto Ferraris, aged 49, died after being run over by an avalanche in Valtournenche, in the Aosta Valley. The incident occurred in the area of ​​Punta Fontana Fredda, at about 2,300 meters above sea level, above the hamlet of Cheneil. The victim, who was doing ski touring, was part of the Mountain Rescue Service of the Guardia di Finanza in Cervinia.

The victim is a South Tyrolean from Brunico. The woman, 62 years old, was killed around 13.00 by an avalanche on the Alpe di Siusi (Bolzano). The tragedy occurred near the mountain station of the Goldknopf-Bahn plant. On the spot the men of the Mountain Rescue, the Fire Brigade, the Carabinieri and the Pelikan 1 helicopters and that of the Aiut Alpin Dolomites immediately went.

The woman was on a snowshoe hike together with a friend who was in turn overwhelmed by the medium-sized avalanche that broke off in the area of ​​the mountain station of the Punta d'Oro-Goldkopf ski lift. Once she was able to emerge, her friend started digging with her bare hands in the snow trying to free her. The woman, covered with about a meter of snow, when the rescuers arrived, having arrived at the site also reported with two helicopters, was extracted in a few minutes but had already died.

Trentino Alto Adige
The ski mountaineer overwhelmed by an avalanche above Alagna in the Vercelli area did not make it. The victim, a young man, was extracted from the snow after 50 minutes and transported by helicopter to the hospital in Borgosesia (Vercelli) in red code. Attempts to revive him have proved futile. He was part of a group of four ski tourers. Two were involved only in part and left the snow alone, while a third went downstream looking for a telephone signal. The alarm went off at 12.40 pm, when the operations center sent on the spot, near the Civera pass, at 3,000 meters a helicopter of 118 with a technician and the dog rescue unit on board. According to the reconstruction of the rescuers, the avalanche was divided into two languages. The technicians started the research in one place while the helicopter went down to Alagna to retrieve two other technicians from the Alpine Rescue and Guardia di Finanza. This second team was taken to the other end of the avalanche, which immediately found the missing thanks to the Artva device with which the buried man was equipped. With the head at about 60 centimeters deep, it was extracted from the snow, stabilized and transported in very serious conditions to the hospital of Borgosesia, where he died.