First it was a sore on the tongue, then on the gums . So Cristina Paredes took Lucas, 11, to the health center. "Don't worry, it's something viral." But in the afternoon the fever appeared, so "we went up to the Plasencia Hospital, and told them the medicines he took for his epilepsy seizures, because he was taking so much shit ... But nothing, they said it was a herpes. However, they let me in. "

And luckily, because from that moment Cristina saw how her son, in this order, was burning her skin, then "went black" , then she dropped her nails, nipples and the entire epidermis, including the plants of the feet, face, all hair and scalp, later he was about to go blind and in the end, almost evicted, with a necrotic body, he needed chemotherapy to survive.

He was transferred by helicopter to Madrid, to La Paz, "on the verge of death, as the doctors told us later," he says. He spent 16 days in Intensive Care and had to sew his eyelids, eight stitches in each one, so that the burning did not end up eating his eyes . He peered over to the other side, "he got to have 19 tension", but he finally went back.

All because of a dose four times higher than necessary for an antiepileptic, Lamictal , multiplied by coinciding with another, Depakine . Lucas's parents, who have been physically deformed but still have been able to save their lives, in addition to serious kidney and liver problems, claimed for the damages and losses of the chain of errors to the Extremadura Health Service .

No response from the Extremadura Health Service

With silence, so far, by sole answer. "It's a shame, we're going to Justice," says Cristina, who does not forget how her son opened his skin "like a road, in a canal" , in those early days, with his head on his knees.

A chain of errors that took place in three Extremadura centers (Virgen del Puerto de Plasencia and Valencia Alcántara de Cáceres and Maternal and Childhood of Badajoz ), and that now seems to doubt even the very root of Lucas' problems: "Look, he has been taking antiepileptics since four years, we were deprived of sleep every three months, the mistake came from mixing several medications of this type and a dose error ... And now, who take him in Madrid, he is not even taking antiepileptics and they told us that maybe he shouldn't have taken them all those years . "

Born with a 48% disability due to a moderate cognitive deficit - "we have been told later that it worked very well to endure the pain" - Lucas Vela Paredes suffered a choking with four years that led him to be treated for epileptoid crisis.

"There, although he never had a crisis, he was diagnosed with epileptiform activity, giving him valproic acid, Depakine, " explains the mother. On January 21, 2018, the specialist of the San Pedro de Alcántara Hospital prescribes 100 milligrams of Lamictal . On February 13 Lucas begins to burn inside. In the health center they are told that it is a virus. In the afternoon he is admitted to Virgen del Puerto.

They discovered what I had on the internet

"They didn't tell me anything, but thanks to a friend we discovered what Lucas had: she started to look online and saw photos of children with the same appearance." It was Stevens-Johnson syndrome . The child's skin begins to ulcerate, explodes in blisters, and then falls off. When that happens, they take him to the Mother-Child of Badajoz.

Lucas Vela, when he began to suffer the burns that brought him to the brink of death.

There, as the lawyer Javier de la Peña, of Lex Abogacía , one of the most important offices in Spain in negligence proceedings, claims in the complaint, he is not treated by a specialist until he is taken by helicopter to La Paz.

"When we arrived in Madrid the doctors hallucinated with the state in which he arrived. They had to take off a gauze from his head that had been there for weeks and that had not healed him. A doctor from the transfer from Extremadura admitted that it had been done by risk of denunciation on our part, which was recorded in the papers, but which was one of the most life or death transfers they ever made. "

Cristina says that prophylaxis in Extremadura hospitals was very improved: "They did not cure him , they tried to put the nasogastric tube to a capon, without anesthesia , and the wardens touched him without gloves or anything ... And they told you that you were a exaggerated. "

Lucas, as stated in the medical reports, had to be chemotherapy and treated completely in the plant in La Paz, "because the ICU was more dangerous for him", to get him back to life. " Now he does not like to look in the mirror . He has not recovered any of the nails, he had to learn to eat with mouth sores and has a brutal photosensitivity, so he almost always goes with sunglasses." He has lived to tell, however.

According to the criteria of The Trust Project

Know more