Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Al-Burhan: No Sudanese forces in Libya and our presence in Yemen "for protection only"

2019-11-22T06:49:40.511Z



Sudan's Transitional Governing Council chairman Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has denied sending Sudanese soldiers to fight with retired Major General Khalifa Hifter, or any other party in Libya.He also stressed that his country's forces are in Yemen at the request of the legitimate government, and do not carry out any combat missions.

He said - during an interview with Al Jazeera direct yesterday - that the failure to remove the name of his country from the lists of countries sponsoring terrorism - despite the change in the country - is "frustrating" for the Sudanese people.

"The talk of sending Sudanese troops to Libya is not true. We did not send anyone to fight in Libya," Burhan said. "No one country has asked us to send soldiers there. We are not a party to the Libyan conflict."

But he did not rule out that other armed factions outside the former regime have worked in Libya, stressing that his government has no income in this.

He stressed that the rapid support forces are part of the Sudanese army, and work under his command and does not work in isolation from the army and its leadership, stressing that these forces "previously had a separate budget, but after the change in the country became the army."

It is noteworthy that Al-Jazeera reported on the ninth of November that a copy obtained from the report of the Panel of Experts of the International Sanctions Committee on Libya, reported that Sudan last July - a thousand soldiers to Libya, in support of retired brigade Khalifa Hifter.

On the other hand, Al-Burhan stressed that the Sudanese forces are present in Yemen at the request of the legitimate government, and that his country does not have troops carrying out combat missions there, but they are only for protection.

He stressed that "the Sudanese forces remain in Yemen until the achievement of the goal for which it participated to restore legitimacy, which turned to restore hope."

Sudan has been involved in the Yemen-led war, led by the Saudi-Emirati coalition, since March 2015. Khartoum has not announced the number of troops involved in the war, but has announced its willingness to send 6,000 fighters there.

Lieutenant General Mohammed Hamdan Humaidati, deputy chairman of the Sovereign Council, revealed earlier that the number of Sudanese troops participating in the war in Yemen amounted to 30 thousand soldiers, most of them from the Rapid Support Forces, which was used by the Sudanese government in the previous conflict in Darfur.

Al-Burhan said Sudan had spoken to the US side about removing its name from the list of state sponsors of terrorism. "They say they have laws and procedures to do so," he said.

He considered that the failure to remove the name of his country from the list of terrorism despite the change taking place in the country, "frustrated the Sudanese people," stressing that the reasons that led to the imposition of sanctions on his country and put him on the list of terrorism no longer.

On October 6, 2017, the Trump administration lifted economic sanctions and a trade embargo imposed on Sudan since 1997, but Washington has not removed its name from the list of "state sponsors of terrorism" listed on it since 1993 for hosting the al-Qaeda leader. The late Osama bin Laden.

Source: aljazeera

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2020-03-28T13:18:24.144Z
News/Politics 2020-03-28T14:39:30.118Z

Latest

news 2020/03/29    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy