Sepang (Malaysia) (AFP)
Spaniard Alex Marquez (Kalex), 2nd in the Malaysian GP won by South Africa's Brad Binder (KTM) on Sunday at the Sepang International Circuit, wins the title of Moto2 World Champion at the end of the season. penultimate round of the season.
The 23-year-old has a 28-point lead in the Championship and can not be reached at the final event in Valencia (Spain) on 17 November, where a maximum of 25 units will be taken.
The little brother of Marc Marquez, himself a MotoGP rider, already has a world title in his Moto3 category in 2014.
The N.73 has signed ten podiums this season, including five wins.
"I do not even know what I'm saying because I'm so tired," he said after celebrating his title with his eldest son, "it's a dream come true and I live now."
Marquez also dedicated this race to the Indonesian Afridza Munandar, who died of an accident Saturday during a race of the Asia Talent Cup on the same circuit of Sepang.
Switzerland's Tom Lüthi (Kalex) completes the podium but sees Binder, the solo winner, take 2nd place in the drivers' standings for four points.
. Ranking of the Moto2 race, 18th round of 19 of the world championship, played Sunday on the international circuit of Sepang (5,543 km):
1. Brad Binder (RSA / KTM) the 18 laps in 38: 07.843 (average speed: 156.9 km / h)
2. Alex Marquez (ESP / Kalex) at 0.758
3. Thomas Lüthi (SUI / Kalex) 2.683
4. Xavi Virgo (ESP / Kalex) 6.646
5. Jorge Navarro (ESP / Speed Up) 7.114
. World Championship ranking after 18 out of 19 events:
1. Alex Marquez (ESP / Kalex) 262 points CHAMPION
2. Brad Binder (RSA / KTM) 234
3. Thomas Lüthi (SUI / Kalex) 230
4. Jorge Navarro (ESP / Speed Up) 210
5. Augusto Fernandez (ESP / Kalex) 197
© 2019 AFP