Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Debate article: "Time to introduce pledge on plastic bags"

2019-10-28T22:18:38.348Z

"We have for years pledged jars and PET bottles, why would it be controversial to introduce pledge on plastic bags, shampoo bottles or ice cream boxes?", Writes the debater.



Sweden is a country that is considered to be at the forefront when it comes to climate measures. Although there is some truth in the statement, there are undeniably some that can be improved. Plastic is a fantastic material that can be used extensively.

Plastic bags are usually pointed out as one of the largest environmental bouncers. According to Råd & Rön, an organic cotton canvas bag must be used five days a week for 77 years for it to be more environmentally friendly than a plastic bag.

However, this does not mean that plastic is infallible. Fabric bags are more easily broken down into nature than plastic bags. The plastic is required to be recycled in order to reduce the negative environmental impact.

Sweden aims to recycle 30% of the plastic consumed. The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency has reported that 46% of the plastic is recycled, unfortunately the figure is not entirely correct.

According to a review by Ekot, almost 20% of all plastic is recycled, which means that the remaining 80% of the plastic that is thrown is burnt. The figure becomes much more frightening when only consumer recycling is calculated, where as much as 90% of the total amount of plastic is fired. This is because many households throw their garbage in combustible instead of sorting the source.

It is often talked about climate comb, that you have to eat less meat and drive a smaller car. Both measures are important for reducing the impact on the environment. However, not everyone can change their entire diet or go collectively, but everyone can sort by source.

In 1984, the deposit system for aluminum cans was started in Sweden. In 2005, the government issued a regulation that would govern the business known today as Pantamera.

The regulation meant that players who produce or import consumer-ready beverages in metal or plastic containers must be included in the mortgage system.

Consumer-ready means that the drink can be drunk immediately. Despite the fact that juice and juice players were excluded from the regulations, a number of players chose to join the mortgage system.

In 2018, according to Pantamera's own statistics, approximately 85% of the PET bottles and aluminum cans were sold. When comparing the statistics for the pledge and the amount of plastic that is recycled, 85% and 10% respectively, it is realized quite quickly that there are drastic differences in what is recycled and what is thrown away.

The statistics speak for themselves, if consumers get back a waste in recycling, chances are that it will happen. Isn't it time for Sweden to go a step further and put a deposit on items other than just plastic and aluminum beverage containers?

Why couldn't plastic bags be part of the mortgage system? What is the difference between a shampoo or Pepsi bottle? Both are made of plastic, the difference being that one becomes a new bottle and the other has a 90% chance of being burned.

We have for years pledged jars and PET bottles, why would it be controversial to introduce pledges on plastic bags, shampoo bottles or ice cream boxes?

I would rather see an extended mortgage system where the consumer is rewarded for taking care of it, rather than the tax that is now introduced on plastic bags. The government seems to be more interested in raising tax revenue through cheap symbol policy than solving actual problems.

I say no to plastic tax and yes to an extended mortgage system!

Source: svt

You may like

Life/Entertain 2019-08-12T15:43:06.090Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2020-01-24T09:55:20.266Z
News/Politics 2020-01-24T14:01:20.881Z
News/Politics 2020-01-24T12:28:15.141Z

Latest

news 2020/01/25    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy