Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Trump warns Turkey against exposure to troops and Ankara completes preparations for a military operation in northern Syria

2019-10-08T01:28:18.191Z



US President Donald Trump has warned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of a "big problem" if any US soldier is hurt in the part of Ankara that has threatened to penetrate from Syria, while Turkey sent military reinforcements to its border with Syria.

Trump said he had told Erdogan, whom he spoke by telephone on Sunday, that "there will be a big problem if one of our children is harmed."

"I have told Turkey that if they do anything beyond what we think is human, they will face the consequences of a very worn-out economy."

Reinforcements and preparations
In the same context, the Turkish armed forces, on Monday evening, further reinforcements to its units stationed on the Syrian border.

These reinforcements include special forces, troop carriers and military armored vehicles, which have traveled to the Syrian border through Kalees province.

Military sources told the Anatolia news agency that the reinforcements were sent in order to strengthen military units stationed on the border of Syria.

For its part, the Turkish Defense Ministry said in a post on Twitter that it has completed all the necessary preparations for a possible military operation in northeastern Syria.

The ministry said in a tweet published late on Monday that the establishment of a safe area is necessary for stability and peace and for the Syrians so that they can live in safety.

She pointed to the need to establish a safe area to contribute to stability and peace in the region, so that the Syrians can live in a safe atmosphere; stressing that the armed forces will never tolerate the establishment of a terrorist corridor on the border of Turkey.

Is the process started?
The Syrian news agency (SANA) said that the Turkish bombing targeted a position of the Syrian Democratic Forces in Tall Tawil in al-Malikiyah in the countryside of Hasaka (northern country).

Syrian television broadcast nightly images that it said were advancing Turkish forces towards Hasakah.
However, a senior administration official said Turkey did not appear to have "so far" embarked on its expected incursion into northeast Syria.

The 50 US soldiers in Turkey's target area will be deployed elsewhere in Syria, the official told reporters by telephone.

He said President Trump's decision to redeploy troops did not represent a US withdrawal from Syria.

Pentagon position
The Pentagon said the United States does not support the upcoming Turkish operation in northern Syria, and that its military will not support or participate in it.

Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement that "the Department of Defense has made clear to Turkey, as the president has done, that we do not support any Turkish operation in northern Syria. The US armed forces will not support or participate in any such operation."

The spokesman added that US Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Miley, told their Turkish counterparts that a unilateral move would be dangerous for Turkey.

The Turkish and US sides agreed last August to establish a safe area in northeastern Syria on the border with Turkey. Ankara has repeatedly threatened a unilateral attack to establish the region, saying the United States has been too slow to implement the deal.

US withdrawal and safe area
Despite the initial US withdrawal, which was seen as a prelude to a Turkish operation; a senior State Department official told reporters today that Washington has made clear to the Turkish side that it does not support the planned operation in any way. "We think this is a very bad idea."

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during a telephone conversation with President Donald Trump late on Sunday, sought US support for the Turkish operation, but Trump refused, the US official said.

"All the time, Erdogan thought the president would eventually provide some sort of military support," he said. Asked about the Turkish plan to resettle millions of Syrian refugees in the safe area, the US official said: "This is probably the craziest thing I've heard."

Congressional leaders criticize
Trump's announcement of US troop withdrawals has drawn strong criticism from both Republican and Democratic leaders. "This decision poses a serious threat to regional security and stability and sends a dangerous message to Iran, Russia and our allies that the United States is no longer a trusted partner," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement. Dangerous. "

"A hasty withdrawal of US troops from Syria will only serve the interests of Russia, Iran and the Assad regime, and will increase the risk that IS and other militant groups will rise again," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement.

On the other hand, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the United States is "a non-status occupier in Syria," and called for respect for the territorial integrity of Syria. "It is pointless to seek or authorize the United States for security," he said.

UN Secretary-General's spokesman Stephane Dujarric said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stressed the importance of restraint by all parties in northern Syria at this time.

Source: aljazeera

Similar news:

You may like

News/Politics 2019-12-03T12:01:47.214Z
News/Politics 2019-10-07T21:37:06.744Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2019-12-08T13:19:16.415Z
News/Politics 2019-12-08T13:37:45.016Z

Latest

news 2019/12/09    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy