Saudi Arabia: Drone attack hits largest oil refinery in Saudi Arabia
In the Persian Gulf two plants of the oil company Saudi Aramco have been attacked with drones. The attacks were known by Houthi rebels from Yemen.
Drone attacks have been carried out on an oil field and a large oil processing plant in Saudi Arabia. The attacks in the night of Saturday had broken out of fire, which are now under control, said a spokesman for the Interior Ministry. The attacks occurred at the two locations Abkaik and Khurais in the east of the kingdom. Photos and videos on social media showed how high flames exploded out of the buildings in several parts of a complex.
The Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen committed themselves to the attacks. The extent of the damage was not quantified. The plants belong to the state oil multinational Saudi Aramco. There was no opinion from Saudi Aramco. The world's largest oil company is currently preparing its IPO.
The Sunni ruling house in Saudi Arabia has been fighting with a military coalition for some years Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen. Riyadh and Tehran deliver a proxy war in Yemen. Jahia Sarie, a Houthis military spokesman, said in a statement transmitted by rebel Masirah that Huthis used ten drones to attack the plant and the Khurais oil field as a "legitimate response" to Saudi Arabia's ongoing military campaign in Yemen ,
In recent months, Houthi rebels from neighboring Yemen have claimed similar attacks on oil facilities and airports in Saudi Arabia. In mid-May, drone strikes had been carried out on two oil pumping stations near Riyadh. Aramco temporarily suspended operations on its east-west pipeline for safety reasons.
- Meter-high flames: drone strike hits Saudi Arabia's largest oil refinery 1 month
- Arabia: Drone attack against two Aramco oil installations 1 month
- Conflicts: Drone attacks on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia 1 month
- Drone attack on world's largest oil facility or Saudi Arabia | NHK News 1 month
- Saudi Arabia: foiled security building attack, 4 killed 1 month
- Attacks with drones against two oil plants in Saudi Arabia 1 month
- Drone attack against two facilities of Saudi oil giant Aramco 1 month
- Conflicts: Drone attack hits largest oil refinery in Saudi Arabia 1 month