Regional politicians: The money must go back to eating disorders care
The Stockholm region added extra money to the eating disorder care to shorten the growing patient queues. But the money went to research instead of care, according to an external review. "This has not been done properly," says Susanne Nordling (MP), chair of the psychiatry department in the Stockholm region.
It is about SEK 9 million over four years that Stockholm's Center for Eating Disorders (SCÄ) should have put on research instead of care. Despite growing queues to receive treatment, the money went to research instead.
- We have seen that SCÄ has not been able to benefit from its queue, even though we have provided them with extra resources with a clear focus on care, says Susanne Nordling (MP), chair of the psychiatry department in the Stockholm region.
After the review, the politicians now choose to add additional resources to the eating disorder care, but then to other procured actors.
- We hope that an actor will be able to receive 15 to 20 more visits a week.MP: The money must be reimbursed to the healthcare system
According to the external review, 1,800 patients could have been treated at SCÄ for four years if the money had gone to care instead of research.
- There are special funds for seeking research money and here you have chosen to use care money, it is not okay. This has not been done properly, ”says Susanne Nordling (MP).
The measures that will now be taken are still unclear, but Susanne Nordling tells SVT that the money will be reimbursed for the care.
The report is sent to the Inspection for Health and Care, which will investigate the patient safety issue.Business executives duck
Until September 20, the Stockholm County Medical Area, SLSO, has to respond to what was stated in the report.
Elizabeth Haking, Chief Physician
None of the operations managers at Stockholm's Center for Eating Disorders want to talk to SVT News Stockholm. Instead, Elizabeth Haking, chief physician in Stockholm County's medical area, may act as spokesperson for the business.
- SLSO has an assignment to conduct healthcare and research, it is closely interrelated with each other. But research money should be used for research and healthcare money for care, of course, says chief physician Elizabeth Haking.
But here you have not done so?
- It says so in the report and we will do an analysis of this.
Are you saying the report is not correct?
- It is certainly true, but we will do an analysis and see how it actually lies. We have to look at it, says Elizabeth Haking.