Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Crews occupy Hong Kong airport and authorities cancel flights


Anti-government protests have escalated in Hong Kong, demanding the prime minister step down and scrapping a bill allowing suspects to be handed over to China for trial.

The protesters at the airport were filled with demonstrators who welcomed the arriving passengers with the slogan "Fight with Hong Kong, Fight for Freedom."

Most of the protesters wore a symbolic black color, wore helmets and put on gas masks, while many added a new bandage to the eye or a tie, in honor of a woman whose face was severely wounded on Sunday night during a demonstration.

The woman was hit by projectiles fired by the police, while rumors circulated that she had lost her sight. Pictures of her as she lay on the ground and blood bleeding from her face quickly spread among the protesters. She also raised her image on banners calling for new demonstrations with the slogan "Eye for an Eye."

"Hong Kong police kill us," one protester wrote, while another wrote "Hong Kong is no longer safe." In English and Chinese, demonstrators wrote red on the walls, pillars and gates of the airport's slogan "Eye for an Eye".

On Friday, protesters began a peaceful three-day sit-in at the airport, where they distributed leaflets about their movement among incoming passengers.

However, the scenery of the two was quite different and was very crowded, so it takes 15 minutes to move between the upper and lower floors where the courtyard arrives.

In the afternoon, Al-Baha stores began to close, while volunteers distributed water and food to the mostly young protesters.

There were signs of surprise. Some were swiftly passing by information providers on the pro-democracy movement, while others stopped to look at posters and artwork in the courtyard and talk to protesters.

Hong Kong's airport announced the cancellation of all flights, and authorities blamed the protesters for disrupting the work of one of the world's busiest airports.

Hong Kong police told a news conference that some of the 5,000 protesters occupying the airport terminal for the fourth day in a row had moved to the departure area and disrupted operations, but declined to say whether they would move to deport the protesters.

"Operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been severely disrupted," airport authorities said in a statement. "All flights have been canceled. All passengers are advised to leave as soon as possible."

The increasingly violent protests have driven Hong Kong, which is ruled by China, into its most serious crisis in decades, and has been one of the biggest public challenges facing Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

The protests began in protest at a bill that would allow suspects to be handed over to China for trial, but has widened to highlight other complaints and has gained considerable support. Police have arrested more than 600 people since the unrest began more than two months ago.

Source: aljazeera

Similar news:

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2020-01-26T15:07:10.263Z


news 2020/01/27    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy