Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Colombo calls a state of emergency: terrorist group IS recalls attacks in Sri Lanka for itself

2019-04-23T11:31:12.802Z

TIME ONLINE | News, backgrounds and debates



Colombo (AP) - The terrorist group Islamic State (IS) has claimed the attacks on hotels and Christian churches in Sri Lanka for themselves.

The IS-speaking Amak reported in the social networks that the attackers who carried out the attacks on "citizens of the coalition and the Christian community" were fighters of the Islamic State. By "citizens of the coalition," IS refers to citizens of countries belonging to the international anti-IS coalition that is fighting the terrorist militia in Syria and Iraq.

The authenticity of the confessor's message initially could not be independently verified. However, it took place via the usual channels in the social networks, in which the IS had already claimed in the past attacks for themselves. ISIS is defeated in its home base in Syria and Iraq. But experts continue to warn against the threat of extremist attacks.

The attacks in Sri Lanka were, according to initial governmental findings, intended as retaliation for the attack on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, in March. Deputy Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardene said in the island state parliament.

According to him, the number of dead now increased to 311 - including 37 foreigners. More than 500 injured were treated according to the police still in hospitals. 42 people were therefore in custody. Among them is also a Syrian citizen.

Seven suicide bombers blew themselves up in three churches and three luxury hotels on Easter Sunday. An extremist Islamist group linked to the National Thowheeth Jamaath group has carried out the attacks, according to the government, Wijewardene said. Revenge and hatred, not religion, would have motivated the perpetrators.

President Maithripala Sirisena had previously declared a public emergency. The unspecified provisions came into force on the night of Tuesday, which was declared a national day of mourning. In the morning, three minutes of silence were held. Numerous burials were planned. In Negombo, where a church had been attacked on Easter Sunday, there was a mass burial.

This night, another curfew had been applied. To stop the spreading of rumors, access to social media remained blocked.

Sirisena has declared the state of emergency in the interest of public safety, the maintenance of public order and to ensure the supply of goods and services to the population, it said in a statement by the President. The security forces are said to have wide powers, according to his office. Under the law, these may apply, for example, to house searches without the permission of a court and arrests without a warrant. Such provisions were almost permanently in force during the civil war in Sri Lanka from 1983 to 2009 - and beyond that until 2011.

Much remained unclear about the perpetrators and their backgrounds. One of the assassins had been arrested a few months ago, according to a Cabinet Minister for damaging Buddha statues. Nine detainees were factory workers who belonged to one of the other perpetrators. More than 20 houses have since been searched, the police said.

Among the killed foreigners is also a German-American, as the Foreign Office announced. According to current information, there are no other German victims, said a spokeswoman on Monday. 14 foreigners are still missing, according to the Sri Lanka Foreign Ministry.

The government is convinced that the perpetrators must have had help from abroad. "We do not believe that these attacks were perpetrated by a group of people who were limited to this country," said cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne. "There was an international network without which these attacks would not have succeeded."

According to Senaratne, before the attacks there were indications of plans to attack National Thowheeth Jamaath. Foreign intelligence agencies had already informed on 4 April about possible suicide attacks on churches and tourist resorts in Sri Lanka. "We are responsible, we are very sorry," said Senaratne on behalf of the government.

Sirisena called a team of three to investigate the series and submit a first report in two weeks. The international police organization Interpol announced that it would send specialists with expertise in crime scene investigation, explosives, counterterrorism and victim identification.

Most of the victims had been victims of the attacks in the churches when Easter services were taking place. In the island state, about seven percent of its 20 million inhabitants are Christians. Against the backdrop of the attacks, German politicians from the CDU, the FDP and the Greens lamented the growing threat to Christian minorities in many countries.

"The terror in Sri Lanka joins in various attacks against Christians worldwide," said the Federal Government Commissioner for Religious Freedom, Markus Grübel (CDU), the "world". The former Union faction leader Volker Kauder (CDU) said the "image": "I see with great concern the growing persecution of Christians throughout the Asian region. Nationalist movements of Buddhists, Hindus and Muslims are becoming increasingly militant. »

Chronology: Attacks on Christians and tourists

Source: zeit

Similar news:

You may like

News/Politics 2019-10-20T19:10:01.545Z
News/Politics 2019-11-18T17:38:01.113Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2020-01-26T15:07:10.263Z
News/Politics 2020-01-26T09:16:10.676Z

Latest

news 2020/01/27    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy