Red Sea off Hurghada on June 8
Photo: - / AFP
In the Egyptian seaside resort of Hurghada on the Red Sea, a man has died after a shark attacked him. This was announced by the Egyptian Ministry of Environment. The incident is being investigated, and a tiger shark is responsible. A team from the ministry and other agencies managed to catch the shark, the statement said.
Local authorities have issued a ban on swimming, snorkeling and other water sports activities on several beaches near the site of the attack.
Local media reported that the victim was a Russian citizen. The Russian consulate general in the city confirmed these reports to the Reuters news agency. According to the Russian news agency TASS, the victim was a Russian born in 1999 who lived full-time in Egypt and was not a tourist.
A diver who arrived at the scene shortly after the attack said people rushed to the victim's aid after a lifeguard from a nearby hotel raised the alarm, but could not reach him in time.
The Red Sea is a popular destination for divers, among others. Shark attacks are actually rare there. Occasionally, however, there are fatal attacks. In the summer of last year, two women, including an Austrian, were killed in a shark attack. In 2018 a tourist from the Czech Republic died, in 2015 a German.