Faced with the explosion in gas and electricity prices, UFC-

Que Choisir

delivered some advice to consumers on Wednesday on when to dispute a bill.

In some cases, operators indeed take some liberties with the law.

Still need to know...

For example, if you have a fixed price contract and the supplier still increases the price per kilowatt hour (kWh), it is possible to dispute the invoice.

You can demand a return to the initial price by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt under article L. 121-1 of the Consumer Code, specifies the consumer defense association.

Beware of contracts indexed to wholesale prices

A price contract indexed to the regulated tariff does not give the supplier all the rights either.

If the latter increases the price without warning you, he “is guilty of not having respected the legal notice periods”, explains UFC-

Que Choisir


If you have not yet paid the invoice, you can send a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt to your supplier to demand the application of your old tariff.

If you have already paid, this time you must send a registered letter, this time demanding reimbursement of the overpayment.

On the other hand, if you have subscribed to a contract indexed to wholesale prices, it is impossible to dispute.

The association also indicates that it has “always advised against these contracts”.

It also recalls that it is possible to change supplier at any time and without notice.


Emmanuel Macron castigates the "absurd" fixing of the price of electricity and the "unreasonable superprofits"


TotalEnergies, EDF and Engie call on the French to immediately reduce their energy consumption

  • electricity

  • Gas

  • Consumption

  • Inflation

  • Company

  • energy