In the first trial of the momentous corona outbreak in the Tyrolean ski resort of Ischgl, the Austrian state rejected an amicable solution and settlement negotiations. The Republic is of the opinion that the government and authorities acted correctly with the knowledge of the virus at the time and that the lawsuit is therefore unfounded - this became clear at the start of the proceedings on Friday. Before the Vienna Regional Court, the widow and son of an Austrian who died of Covid-19 and who is said to have been infected during the chaotic departure from Ischgl, are demanding around 100,000 euros in damages from the state.

The ski and party location, which is also popular with Germans, was suddenly closed in March 2020 due to the increasing number of cases. Returning travelers carried the virus to many home countries. According to the plaintiff's attorney Alexander Klauser, authorities reacted too late to the first infections and did not implement health measures sufficiently. In addition, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP) announced a quarantine for Ischgl on March 13th without any preparation. Thousands of vacationers fled uncontrolled and crowded together. "Anyone who had not been infected with the corona virus the week before was now infected in overcrowded cars and ski buses," Klauser told journalists.

The court has so far received 15 complaints about Ischgl. However, the Austrian Consumer Protection Association (VSV), which supports the lawsuits, expects that a total of up to 3,000 claims will be made against the state.

Keywords: