According to media reports, the President of the Federal Office for Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance in Bonn, Christoph Unger, is to be replaced.
The news agency dpa reports and cites sources in the Union parliamentary group in the Bundestag.
The AFP also reports that it has received confirmation from parliamentary groups.
After mishaps on the nationwide warning day last Thursday, criticism of the authority had become loud.
First, the rbb reported that Unger was to be replaced.
Accordingly, Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) decided to replace Unger.
However, there was no confirmation from the ministry.
He has no knowledge of personnel decisions, said a spokesman in Berlin.
The dpa reports that Interior State Secretary Stephan Mayer (CSU) was asked in the Interior Committee of the Bundestag whether Unger was still the head of the authority.
Mayer replied that he did not want to comment on personnel matters in this group.
The dpa learned this from participants in the non-public meeting.
On the first nationwide warning day last Thursday, many things did not work.
Sirens and other warning systems were supposed to go off at eleven o'clock that day across the country.
But among other things, the warning messages from the NINA and KATWARN apps only arrived on the smartphones a good half hour late.
In an emergency, many citizens would have heard nothing of a possible disaster.
Because there are no longer any sirens in many places, the warnings would not have reached many citizens in an emergency.
The Federal Ministry of the Interior had described the test alarm as "failed".
The reason was a technical problem.
Seehofer had made the processing a top priority.
"We have to completely reorganize it, I'll take care of that personally," said the minister.
It can be assumed that "fundamental things will change in every direction".
Unger had blamed various control centers for the fact that the warning apps on the cell phones did not work.
"You didn't stick to the agreements," he said.
It had been agreed that the Federal Office would operate the apps from Bonn alone.
Instead, around 30 other warning messages went out almost simultaneously.
"The system couldn't cope with that," said Unger.
The deficits would have to be corrected by the next warning day in September 2021.
Unger has headed the Federal Office since it was founded in 2004.
Criticism of Seehofer came from the SPD parliamentary group on Wednesday.
"To blame these problems on the BBK and its President is insincere and unjust," said the MPs Ute Vogt and Sebastian Hartmann.
So far, the BBK has been a "stepchild" for Seehofer, to whom he has devoted neither sufficient financial resources nor attention.