Palliative care ward Approximately 20% banned visits Prevention of new corona infection June 30, 4:59

A symposium dedicated to palliative care to alleviate pain and mental distress caused by cancer, etc., was conducted by a specialized academic societies in May to find out if the new coronavirus had an effect, and it was found to be close to 20% in Japan. It was discovered that family visits were banned at this facility to prevent infection. Meeting with the family is important for patients with advanced cancer, and the academic society wants to give an idea of ​​when restrictions can be relaxed.

In May, the Japan Society of Palliative Medicine conducted a survey on the effects of the new coronavirus in medical institutions nationwide with palliative care units, and received responses from 295 facilities.

Since many patients at these facilities are at high risk of becoming seriously ill, measures were taken to prevent the introduction of the virus.
▽98% of 289 facilities restricted the number and time of patients entering the hospital room during visits, and
▽18% We also replied that at 52 facilities, which are categorized as “No.
On the other hand,
▽55% of 163 facilities have an online environment, and
▽98% of 289 facilities have to take measures against infection just before the death of the patient, and limit it to a close family. The answer is that they are able to meet in form.

Yoshiyuki Kizawa, President of the Society, said, “It is very important for patients to interact with their families. In an area where the infection has subsided, we would like to show our way of thinking in the future as the society can be relaxed by taking necessary measures.”

Meeting on a smartphone "I'm glad to see and talk face to face"

Many palliative care wards have restrictions on visits to prevent infections, but some facilities also offer online visits using smartphones and tablet devices.

Katsuyuki Kondo (66)'s mother, Motoko (92), who lives in Inzai City, Chiba Prefecture, receives palliative care at the Eiju General Hospital in Taito Ward, Tokyo.

Motoko has continued to receive medical treatment at home for colorectal cancer, but as her cancer progressed and her body could not move as she wanted, and she could no longer keep food, etc., so from May the palliative care unit of the Yongju General Hospital. I am hospitalized.

In March, Yongju General Hospital was confirmed to have a new type of coronavirus outbreak in March, and even after resuming medical treatment last month, visits to the ward including palliative care are prohibited, but in June. Since then, the hospital has prepared a smartphone and can talk to his mother.

Mr. Kondo checked the state of his mother by video call several times a week, and was showing the flowers that Mr. Motoko was raising at home with a camera, saying "How are you?" ..

Mr. Kondo said, "I can't meet face-to-face, but I can see my complexion and facial expression through my smartphone, and I can see how I'm feeling well, I'm sleepy. I may not be able to meet when I'm hospitalized." I was so happy to be able to talk while looking at my mother's face."