The Federal Prosecutor wants to apply this Thursday to the investigating judge of the Federal Court of Justice for the issue of an arrest warrant against the alleged assailant of Halle. This was reported by the authority. Previously, investigators had searched the suspect's home. This evidence was ensured, it was said.
On Wednesday afternoon, an armed assassin attempted to storm the synagogue in Halle. It was fully occupied because of the high Jewish holiday Yom Kippur. The attacker failed at the locked door. He then shot dead two people before he was arrested by the police. At least two people were injured. The perpetrator is, according to first findings, a far-right. He filmed the act with a helmet camera. The video is a right-wing confession. He also left behind an anti-Semitic manifesto.
The president of the Central Council of Jews criticized the police on Wednesday for failing to provide security for the synagogue. The fact that the synagogue in Halle was not protected by the police on a holiday like Yom Kippur is outrageous, "said Schuster, describing the technical protection measures on Wednesday as very good." But if this had been a police station, the man would have been harmless The Chairman of the Jewish Community of Halle, Max Privorozki, joined in. "We never have police checks," he said, not even at the Hanukkah celebration, the Jewish Festival of Lights, with several hundred people the police present, though he asks for it.
Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier wanted to visit the synagogue in Halle on Thursday afternoon. Also planned is a meeting with Prime Minister Reiner Haseloff (CDU), as the Federal President announced. Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) is also expected. He wants to inform at a joint press conference with Schuster and Saxony-Anhalt Interior Minister Holger Stahlknecht (CDU) about new findings.