Prince of Prussia: Hohenzollern claim to thousands of works of art
In a dispute with the federal government calls the nobility house according to a media report also a permanent right of residence in Potsdam Castle Cecilienhof. The Chancellery refuses.
According to a media report, the Adelshaus Hohenzollern claims thousands of works of art of partly national importance from public museums in Berlin and Brandenburg. This emerges from documents from for years secretly ongoing settlement negotiations with the public hand, reports the Tagesspiegel . Hohenzollern chief Georg Friedrich Prince of Prussia demands accordingly also permanent free of charge housing right for the family in the Potsdam lock Cecilienhof or two other lock villas.
Minister of State for Culture Monika Grütters (CDU) said that the talks with the federal government, Berlin and Brandenburg are about a permanent overall solution for various art and collection items. "At present, the negotiating positions are still very far apart," it said.
Background was a law from 1926 on the property dispute between the former state of Prussia and the House of Hohenzollern. Among other things, it is about legal ambiguity in the contract at the time. According to Tagesspiegel , it should be collection objects, which today are mainly at the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg, the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation and the German Historical Museum. "Among them are also objects and paintings of considerable value and historical significance," it said from the State Ministry of Culture and the media.
The Hohenzollern are among the German aristocracy, the current head of the family is great-great-grandson of William II, the last German emperor. According to the report, the Hohenzollern recently extended their demands to the public sector for parts of the former house archive and the library of the Prussian kings, as well as the right to housing.
Lease agreements for works of art for museums terminated
According to Tagesspiegel , Grütters' staff had rejected the claim by letter on June 13. The letter states that the representatives of Berlin, Brandenburg and the Federal Government do not see any suitable basis for promising negotiations. Since at least 2014, controversial ownership and ownership is being negotiated. According to the newspaper, the aristocracy had in the meantime terminated the lending contracts for works of art with public museums. The aristocratic house did not mention details on request, but spoke of ongoing negotiations. The federal government had set a date for the 24th of July in the letter to discuss whether there is still a solution.
So far, it was only known that the House Hohenzollern fights for the return of previous real estate - or a compensation in the millions for former Prussian castles, whose return is clearly excluded. Most recently, the Koblenz district court had dismissed a lawsuit by George Frederick Prince of Prussia on the return of Rheinfels Castle against the Land of Rhineland Palatinate.